Portrait Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portrait Program

What program is it that does the portraits? I saw it mentioned. What is the name and where can I get it?
    Mike P.

He is a man of sense who does not grieve for what he has not, but rejoices in what he has.
    - Epictetus

One program I am aware of is by JASC. It is called Paint Sho Pro. You can download a trial version from www.jasc.com and the product is reasonably priced and very good, IMHO. You can record the steps you take to make a photograph into a pattern and save those steps in what is called a script. Then the next time you want to make a pattern, you just run the script.

Remember however, no program will be able to make perfect patterns. You will need to modify the results with a "paint" or "draw" feature of some sort.

One of the forums has tutorials on how to use the program to make patterns and most seem to find it very good for portrait design. Send me a private message and I will give you the URL to that forum.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Thank you. I am sure that program came with my daughter's computer. I am gonna check.
      Mike P.

He is a man of sense who does not grieve for what he has not, but rejoices in what he has.
      - Epictetus

Comment

Goobydoosdad make sure you let us know how your pattern comes along. Maybe you could post a photograph and the pattern you designed from it so we can see how your portrait design skills evolve? Please!!!!

Comment

Hey, hey now.............I gotta learn which button to push first on this computer. Now lets see, after I get the pattern done the way I like it I push "delete", don't I??? LOL

I have a goal of doing portraits but, I guess I gotta learn a bit first. I ain't no kid but I gotta take those baby steps first ya know. I have a couple of projects I want to do first. In the mean time, I am gonna read a good book about scrolling (Nelson), and practice wwwwhen the wwwwwweather wwwwwarms up enough to let me. I also have to learn the ins and outs about the portrait program and such.

Yes, I will post pics and such to inform you all of my progress. (if there is any) LOL. It'll be interesting and fun. BTW..............my first scrolling project was a Hummingbird...............it actually came out looking like a duck.........somehow I think I will need some time......I certainly ain't gonna post a pic of my hummin...........I mean.............Duck. If I do ok, I will post pics but if I screw it up, I ain't a postin nuttin.....
          Mike P.

- Epictetus

Comment

LOLRH, a duck! giggle. I am embarrassed to tell you what my first project was... an "x". Not very difficult.... or challenging.

At least you tried to do something.... and THAT Mike is what is most important. Whether it is scrolling or pattern design, or for some, asking for help because they are too shy.... it is a start.

If you are sure you have the program, then there is a tutorial I can direct you to. If it isn't that particular program, change your picture to greyscale and then play with the "threshold" or the "brightness and contrast" features.

I have to say, I am in no way an authority on this kind of thing. I have tried several programs but can only take the picture so far. Then I print it off and use some tracing paper and pencil to make further modifications. I have seen some really good patterns made on the software and the people who do it have my admiration.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with and feel free to ask questions. If I don't know the answer, I will see if I can find it out for you.

Take care

Comment

Well, I got an older paint shop pro 7 program.

Where bouts is that tutorial??? Better yet can you come show me???

I tried to play with the "grayscale" and the brightness/contrast scale but I am thinking my artistic talent (of which I have very little) comes into play????? I was doin that before you wrote. However a lot of HELP is needed I am feared (would you mind if I cried for a minute?)

Then again, I do not know what the photo is supposed to look like when I get it the best it can be before the next step. I actually got the photo where I liked it but the person musta had leprosy cuz the nose was gone and I couldn't get it to show at all and the right eye looked like they were in for a mighty hangover.

signed,
              workin on it
              Mike P.

- Epictetus

Comment

Mike - sounds like you are having a lot of fun! lol. An no I don't mind if you cried for a minute! Giggle.

I will send you the link in a private message. I am not in favor or posting URL's to other forums.

You should be able to get your photo to a stage where if you cut out all the black areas, you will have a picture that resembles your photo. There should be no floaters.

Check your messages. The Url for the tutorial is on the way.

Keep working on it.
                Waiting for results.

Comment

got it...thanks.............are we supposed to have fun??
                  Mike P.

- Epictetus

Comment

LOL! Well, I'm having fun reading your posts!!

I've used the "paint" program on my computer to make patterns from a picture. I don't recommend it unless you have a lot of time and no other program!! I did get the pattern printed, but never cut it out.

T
                    Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Are we suppose to be having fun? Hell ya!

I hear designing with the software programs is addicting once you get the hang of it. I have even known some folks that once they get the program to work with them just they way they like, the spend MORE TIME ON THE COMPUTER THAN THE SCROLLSAW!!! Stay grounded goobydoosdad!

I agree with Forester... I look forward to your posts too! Love the humour.

Comment

You guys will have to pardon me for a while..................uhmmmmm at 47 yrs old, I have a hard time comprehending this computer lingo. I am attempting to understand this tutorial on Paint shop pro. I have the Paint shop pro 7 and I was told that it would work ok but I might have to adapt the commands in the tutorial as the tutorial uses Paint shop pro 8.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo.................if I am gone for a day or two, you will know why. Now if I am gone for a week or two, you may want to be a bit concerned but not too much now. However if you don't hear from me for durn near a month, then there are two possibilities. One, I caught on to the computer thing Waaaaaaay too well...............or two, I decided to just toss the computer (that would be why you won't hear from me) and have decided to just go back to cutting.........errrrr......I mean scrolling ducks.....errrr, I mean hummingbirds once again.

I will keep in touch, one way or da other.
                        Mike P.

- Epictetus

Comment

Ahh Mike - 47 isn't too old to know the computer lingo!! In your defense tho, I understand that Paint Shop Pro is a difficult program to learn. Come up for a breath of air once in awhile and let us know how it's going.
                          T
                          Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Come on, Mike -- I'm pushing 61 and I can understand ANYTHING about MY computer ...... of course it's steam powered.

Comment

Actually, just so you folks know, the main reason for my desire to get into scrolling is actually because of the lack of a life OFF the computer. I used to be a member of a few Nascar boards. Along with Yahoo games and such, I used to be on this thing most of the night and quite a bit on weekends. I am NOT a computer genius. I do know how to surf the net and how to do the basics but to get a grip on other programs like PSP7 may be a bit much for my brain to comprehend. I guess I can give it a whirl though. Let's hear it for Mikey...........go,go,go,go,go,go,go

I CAN DO IT!!!
                              Mike P.

- Epictetus

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X