X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newscroller
    replied
    Walker;
    I buy other woodworking magazines but ,I only Subscribe to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts. I don't think you will find a better scroll sawing Magazine.
    Hank

Leave a comment:

• CanadianScroller
    replied
    Ssw

I don't subscribe to magazines, but my wife will attest to the fact that I go through withdrawls if I dont find the magazine I am looking for.
    We all like patterns but there is nothing more frustrating than opening up a magazine that is wrapped in plastic along with another publication only to find the patterns are not really what you are looking for.
    I am sure I have well over a couple of thousand patterns now. Most I will never do. What I will do is apply the ideas I see in the magazines to other projects I work on.
    My thoughts are if you get one good idea from a magazine it is worth its price. At this rate I think I owe SSW far more than they owe me.
    The quality of the patterns is also superior to the other magazines out there.
    Keep doing what you are doing. Srollsawing as a hobby is growing in leaps and bounds. I do demonstrations at our local fair and countless people dust off their saws and join in once they see what can be done. It is an endless circle, inspire us, we inspire others and they buy the magazine. What a wonderful world

Leave a comment:

• sheltiecarver
    replied
    Elwood,
    I strongly recommend you try SSW - either by trying a free copy today, or by searching your bookstores or even Home Depot. You are in for a real treat!
    Sandy

Leave a comment:

• Plain_Ol_Ed
    Guest replied
    If I'm not mistaken you can click the "Try Today For FREE!" button on the upper right portin of your screen and get a free copy.

Leave a comment:

• elwood
    replied
    I like creative woodworks & crafts. I have not seen ssw where i get my magazines. there are others i get but only get them for a pattern i like. I wood like to get an issue of ssw. does any one know where in NC i can get one?

Leave a comment:

• Plain_Ol_Ed
    Guest replied
    To steal a phrase from golf
    U Da Man!

Leave a comment:

• BobD
    replied
    You two have kinda hit on my philosophy for the magazine. Some people get the magazine to cut out patterns, so I try to provide a variety of patterns. Some people get the magazine to learn techniques, so I try to find as many new techniques as possible. Some read for inspiration, so pieces like Steve M.'s puzzles and the Vasillia and the White Horseman show what can be done on the Scroll Saw. We try to provide as much of a mix as possible.

FYI in the upcoming issue, we've got a wolf portrait silhouette planned for the wildlife lovers and in the issue Ed referred to, there is a deer silhouette pattern...

Bob

Leave a comment:

• Forester21
    replied
    Plain-ol-Ed - I agree!

I like the extra reading material included in SSWS also. And I often take instructions for one thing and use it for others.

T

Leave a comment:

• Plain_Ol_Ed
    Guest replied
    My opinion: I currently subscribe to both CW&C and SSW, SSW is the one I prefer. Why? Because they tend to have more articles that are instructional in nature, vice just a pattern to copy with short instructions on how to cut or assemble the project. An example is the Steve Malavolta article "Layered Marquetry Puzzles" in the latest edition of SSW. Now I may never make such a puzzle, but there are numerous methods pointed out and explained that are applicable to many other projects. Bob D are you listening. Then again I probably have a minority opinion, I usually do.

Leave a comment:

• rnelson
    replied
    Being new to scroll sawing, It's actually a magazine that got me started. My Wife and I were at our local Woodworking Shop and she picked up a copy of Creative Woodworks and Crafts. After we got home, I found myself looking it over that night and I liked the assortment of Wildlife patterns that they included. It simply simply created a desire where I felt that I just had to make that.

The most intense they had was a fretwork Owl that took me more than 10 hours to cut out. I'm currently working on a Hawk that was included in the March edition. I'm about half way through it. It's very similar to the owl pattern.

From what I like to see, the Creative Woodworks has the wildlife things I really like. What I saw in SSW was more games and things that just don't interest me right now. Also, It may just be that the SSW issue my wife picked up was the Holiday edition. Very nice but I guess I just wasn't in the mood for that kind of work right now.
    Roy

Leave a comment:

• sheltiecarver
    replied
    Welcome, Enaid!
    Boy, are you in for some fun.
    Sandy

Leave a comment:

• Dena F
    replied
    Enaid

SSW is indeed a great magazine with lots of how tos. Come and join us.
    Dena

Leave a comment:

• enaid
    replied
    Scroll sawing magazines

I am new - both to this forum and scroll sawing. I first saw a copy of SSW on the newstand yesterday and picked it up. Looks good. Seems to be a little something for everyone. Nice to see some ladies on this forum. I'm on some others but there seem to be mostly men on them, including the "Women in woodworking" site This forum looks like one I will spend a lot of time on in the future.

Leave a comment:

• wwalker47
    replied
    Well, after reading all the great responses I when ahead and subscribed to SSW. I got my trial edition the other day and, after looking over and reading some articles, I sent it in the same day.

Thanks again for the advice.

Leave a comment:

• Joanna
    replied
    I'm sort of a magazine junkie. I have a habit of giveing many of them a year subscription as a trial period. Many have come and gone. I do regret subscribing to WFW. I was impressed with the first issue and thought it had potential to get better. Completely agree with Nancy G, it's going the "cutsey" route.

Actually my favorite hands down is SSW. With limited time, I'm sort of picky about what new projects I want to try out, but there's always something new in there that really grabs my attention. It seems to have a lot more fresh ideas.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X