Ultimate Puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Puzzle

My first thread on this forum. I have been scrolling for about 14 years. I have maybe a dumb question. The Ultimate Puzzle on page 46 of the latest Scroll Saw Work Shop magazine has each piece of the puzzle numbered from 1 to 40. I understand the cut numbers from 1 to 8. What are the other numbers for? Mick.
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Hi Mick,

First let me say, there is never a dumb question... sometimes things just need clarification. I will take a look at the magazine and see if I can help you with your question.

Comment

Well, unfortunately I will not be able to help you ....

Embarrassed here, I do not have the most recent copy of the magazine That's what I get for living in a small town in Canada.... It takes a good month after it hits the newstand for me to get one. Sigh.

Hang in there, I am sure help is on the way. Again, sorry.

Comment

Mick,

Those are the suggested order to cut the pieces out after making the initial 8 cuts. Tom mentions in there not to make any sharp turns, which leave little gaps from the blade that make it easier for people to put together. If you cut them out in the numbered order, it makes it harder for people to put the puzzle together.

Hope this helps

Bob Duncan
        Associate Editor
        Scroll Saw Workshop
        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Mick Walker

Bob, that is what I thought but didn't know for sure. Mick
          Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

My Interpretation of the Numbers

Originally posted by Mick Walker
            My first thread on this forum. I have been scrolling for about 14 years. I have maybe a dumb question. The Ultimate Puzzle on page 46 of the latest Scroll Saw Work Shop magazine has each piece of the puzzle numbered from 1 to 40. I understand the cut numbers from 1 to 8. What are the other numbers for? Mick.
            The cuts 1-8 are to make it easier to cut without having to make sharp corner cuts. The other numbers, 1-40 are so you know how to reassemble it when you are through cutting.

Comment

Ultimate Puzzle Options

The Ultimate Puzzle is hard enough as is, but here are some ways to make it even harder to assemble.
              #1. Make both sides black so you don't know whether a puzzle piece is right side up.
              #2. Stack cut two puzzles at a time, and have the two pieces of Baltic birch so the grain is at right angles. Then take all the odd numbered pieces from one piece and the even numbered pieces from the other. That way wood grain can't be used to guide assembly.
              #3. Stack cut two puzzles at a time, but make one black and the other white (or any other contrasting colors). Then, as with option #2, take the odd numbered pieces from the black puzzle and combine them with the even numbered pieces from the white puzzle. The person (victim?) you give the puzzle will try to assemble it with the pieces all turned to the same color. Don't tell them the trick.

Tom Sevy in Salt Lake

Comment

Tom

The all black is pretty mean. That doesn't sound like fun at all. A puzzle is meant to be solved. The other two methods if you stack cut it would not matter if you inter-mix grain or color if I am following what you are saying.
                John T.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                  The bags seem easier on the surface.
                  But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                  Today, 03:24 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                  by will8989
                  Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                  Today, 10:32 AM
                • Sandy Oaks
                  by Sandy Oaks
                  As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                  Today, 09:46 AM
                • NC Scroller
                  Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                  by NC Scroller
                  I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                  Today, 07:42 AM
                • NC Scroller
                  by NC Scroller
                  I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                  Today, 07:39 AM
                Working...
                X