Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting in Intarsia

Hi everyone,
    Kathy Wise just came up with a pattern for a St. Bernard puppy, which is tempting me to try my hand at intarsia. I've always tried to stretch my talents...but I've only worked through 1/2 of John Nelson's Scroll Saw Workbook and haven't tried intarsia at all...should I wait until I've finished the book or can I jump right in and just sand the piece to fit?
    Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

intarsia

Try it Bob, you'll like it! lol, its fun, I have only done a few but they are fun to do. Also marquetry is fun too...

Comment

Go for it! Just be sure your a patient man. It is very time consuming.

Comment

Ed,

That makes me hesitate...I don't have a saw at home, so I'll be cutting it during my lunch 1/2 hour at work...But I guess it will force me to get better at scrolling!
        Bob
        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Hmmm, just do it! I took a class on teaching adults once and apparently, statistics indicate we learn better by actually "doing it" then "reading about how to do it" in many cases.

Besides, I'd think you'd have some pretty good "experts" to assist you should you need to ask questions while you work through the pattern.

Comment

Or force you to buy a saw for home! LOL I am starting intarsia but am working it in between other projects as it works very well this way. I try to picture in my mind the wood variations I would like to use, then wait until I have that type of wood to use. Make any sense? But most times I just buy wood because I like the color, grain, etc. and the right project just comes along for it, even if it is 6 months later!! GOOD LUCK!!
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Hi Bob,

Check this site: http://intarsia.net/. There you can learn about how to make intarsia.
              If you need more help email me and glad to help.

Mike M
              SD Mike

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                by will8989
                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Farmers market
                by will8989
                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
              • tgiro01
                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                by tgiro01
                Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                Yesterday, 09:38 PM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                by Linda In Phoenix
                It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                Yesterday, 06:47 PM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                by Linda In Phoenix
                Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                Yesterday, 06:38 PM
              Working...
              X