"Wars Of The Roses"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Wars Of The Roses"

A few weeks ago I posted a picture of The Yorkshire rose, I thought I would not leave the opposition out and made The Lancashire emblem.

The Yorkshire rose dates back to 1455 when "Wars of the Roses began in England. The house of Lancaster and the house of Yorkshire were fighting
    over who would reign over England, hence the 30 year war but only about 20 battles were fought and then they were only skirmishes I believe
    Eventually Henry Tudor married and introduced The Lancashire rose uniting the the two houses together.

The Yorkshire rose came into prominence again in 1759 when soldiers of the Yorkshire regiment at the battle of Minden picked white roses in tribute to their fallen
    comrades and wore them on their uniforms. This date has been adopted as Yorkshire day, when all Yorkshire folk are encouraged to wear the white rose.

Some people argue that it was in this battle , rather than during the war of the roses, the flower became the Yorkshire emblem.

Hope I haven't bored you to much I thought a bit of the history would add interest.

Harry.
    Attached Files

I love history. Thanks for the lesson. Beautiful job on the rose.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I’m with Scott. I love reading about history. Very interesting. And your cutting was beautiful.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Thanks for posting Harry. As the others, historical background is fun to know.
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Very cool. No boredom either....the history helped give insight into the pieces. I look forward to seeing more of your art.
          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
            Reply to New tools
            by Quartz43
            I have an implanted spinal cord stimulator to help with back pain. They also have warnings about welding. I could not get one when I was working in an electric furnace steelmaking shop as the electrodes were over 1000 amps and volts. I have also decided to stay away from welding as I just do not...
            Today, 03:40 PM
          • hotshot
            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
            by hotshot
            You did a great job on that video. You speak and explain well!...
            Today, 02:27 PM
          • RJweb
            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
            by RJweb
            I am glad it is all working out for you, RJ...
            Today, 01:31 PM
          • Linda In Phoenix
            Shrink wrap systems
            by Linda In Phoenix
            What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
            Today, 11:51 AM
          • Linda In Phoenix
            Reply to Sundays market
            by Linda In Phoenix
            Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
            Today, 11:39 AM
          Working...
          X