Turning coasters into gifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning coasters into gifts

Joe and I designed this holder for four coasters; he did most of the work, since my table saw skills are not up to cutting rabbets. My only contribution was to make the cutouts for the egg crate divider. As shown, the unit can be used as a trivet, but behind each coaster is a hole that you can use to pop it out for individual use.

For a less elaborate gift, I used the egg crate design to make a holder for four coasters. Quick and easy, and I think quite nice. Having made 13 sets of 4 coasters, this should do us for house gifts for some time!
    Attached Files
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Carole, you really think outside the box. A wonderful idea and creation.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

It is great to see that the creativity of the Joe/Carole team is alive and well.
      cwmagee
      aka Fibber
      Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Thanks, Denny. I've used egg crates in the past, but generally as box dividers. They're easy to do, and can really make a difference in the look of a project.

And thanks, Fibber. Joe is part of every project I make, one way or the other, and the best part is that we don't have to social distance!
        Carole

Comment

Very nice, I assume the material is Corian, is the thickness 1/4” and 4” x 4” . Did you cut with a metal or jewelry blades or just normal blades. I agree this will make beautiful gifts.

Comment

Pete, it's 12mm x 4" x 4" Corian samples. The edges were pre-finished.

I have another post, "My COVID-19 Marathon Project, which goes into more detail about the tiles. Corian cuts perfectly with a standard skip tooth blade--I use the FD Polar #5, blue tape, and about 80% cutting speed. It sands with standard sanders. When contoured with a Mac Mop and buffed with a sanding mop, it takes a beautiful sheen, with very little work.

I seldom do repetitive work, but for these times, it was the perfect calming activity. Drill, cut, drill, cut, drill, cut, etc.
            Carole

Comment

Thanks for the info, will try to find a supplier in my neck of the wood.

Comment

Pete, look for a Corian fabricator. They can’t use the center sink cutouts and you may be able to get them for free. I lucked out and found someone local. Also, I have an article coming out in the next issue of SSWC with more specific info about Corian and how it can be used, including bending with heat.
                Carole

Comment

The team of Carole and Joe is always inventive and creative. Really nice work! Dick
                  Dick Miraglia

Comment

Thanks, Dick. And we could certainly say the same about you and your work!

I do hope that your appearance on the forum is more than just a cameo; we've been impressed by your skill and creativity as long as we've known you, which probably dates back to the "cocktail party" at McDonalds. It's always feels good to reconnect with old friends.
                    Carole

Comment

Without Bruce this wouldn’t be any fun. Although I’m sure he would say this is fun?
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Love it Carole. I am truly amazed how talented people like you come up with these great ideas. My mind just does not function at that level.
                        Scott
                        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I went to a supplier of Corian in town and I got a shock of the price for this product. I asked for scrap pieces and he came up,with a piece approximately 4” wide by 5’ long and he quoted me a price of $90.00 this is not a typo $90.00, I left the store promptly.

Comment

Originally posted by scrollerpete View Post
                            I went to a supplier of Corian in town and I got a shock of the price for this product. I asked for scrap pieces and he came up,with a piece approximately 4” wide by 5’ long and he quoted me a price of $90.00 this is not a typo $90.00, I left the store promptly.
                            WOW!!!! If that is not a turn off nothing is. Even in terms of USD it would be about $67. I can see asking for maybe asking $10 but not $90 for a piece of scrap.
                            Scott
                            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Ouch! That is outrageous, but don’t give up. You might try places that install kitchens. They might be able to put you in touch with a fabricator who is higher on the nice scale! That’s how I found my contact. Also, ask for the sink cutouts, since fabricators have no use for them, and the thickness is usually 12mm. Keep us posted.
                              Carole

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                                Reply to Broken Excalibur, question.
                                by cwmagee
                                Since I have only replaced the blade holders and the rocker arms that the the blade holder attaches to and I do not recognize the parts, I suspect that they may be a part of the drive linkage inside the upper or lower arm. I know that this may not be much help.
                                Today, 11:57 AM
                              • keystonecop
                                Reply to I would like your help
                                by keystonecop
                                The 1/4 is solid.. at least this time I will know that it is not all me and can blame part of it on the wood.. My go to wood is cherry and black walnut. a few weeks ago I cut a piece in 3/4 red oak and snapped a piece.....
                                Today, 10:25 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Broken Excalibur, question.
                                by NC Scroller
                                I have had no issues with my EX-21 and it has lots of hours on it. Can you me a better idea what I am looking at?
                                Today, 10:09 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Broken Excalibur, question.
                                by Rolf
                                I had a call from a friend and it appears a part broke on her EX-21 She will be getting the part from Ray and I will probably install it for her. Not having had my EX saw apart I am curious if any of you have replaced this part. I seem to remember it being a fairly common failure.
                                Today, 09:38 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Nova drill press
                                by Rolf
                                Quartz you are absolutely Correct! I modified my post....
                                Today, 09:28 AM
                              Working...
                              X