• Show
Clear All

• "TIGRIS" Ornate Tiger

IMG_2224.JPG

Pattern By Charles Hand
    ¾” Black Walnut !0 Hours 50 Minutes cutting time
    30 Minutes drilling holes about 215

A few notes about things I like

I like true vector patterns because they allow me to change the size, thickness and color of the lines (RED), and fill the background color( greenish gray, also helps when drilling holes).. I use INKSCAPE a FREE program to resize and change the colors.

I have followed several pattern makers over the years who specialize in portrait type patterns. I admire what they do. I like cutting in ¾ inch thick hardwoods mainly Cherry and Black Walnut I have done a few Baltic birch portrait type cutting but only with FLAT blades. I have found that some of the pattern makers will provide a pdf of the patterns, but that sometimes does not mean it is a true vector drawing

I started using Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse #5 blades when they first came out, I have now switched to Pegas Scroll Saw Blades Modified Geometry blades and finding a #3 works well following very detailed cuts.
    IMG_2216.JPG

Attached Files
    The other John A. Nelson
    johnsworkshop.com
    sigpic
    I just follow the lines and make sawdust
    on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

I saw that on FB, but had to comment here. Truly a wonderful piece.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Beautiful pattern and extremely well done cutting! Hopefully you send this to the magazine for publication so more people can see it!

Karl
      Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Originally posted by KarlB View Post
        Beautiful pattern and extremely well done cutting! Hopefully you send this to the magazine for publication so more people can see it!

Karl
        Thanks for the compliment. I did send Hannah an email this morning.. She was working on another one of Charles patterns that I cut.. Maybe she will change it to this one.. Each one I do seems to get better.. Going to try his elephant next... Great patterns make cutting so much more fun.
        The other John A. Nelson
        johnsworkshop.com
        sigpic

Comment

I am amazed there is only 10+ hours of cutting time. Walnut has been slow to cut for me.
          Nice work. Thanks for posting.
          "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Originally posted by Misouri Wayne View Post
            I am amazed there is only 10+ hours of cutting time. Walnut has been slow to cut for me.
            Nice work. Thanks for posting.
            I am thinking the change in blades might be a part of it. I started using Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse #5 blades when they first came out, I have now switched to Pegas Scroll Saw Blades Modified Geometry blades . I have been told they are more aggressive.. Hard to tell, but I am seeing a change in my cutting speed.. The BIG part I am used to the style that Charles uses in is style.. The more I cut a pattern makers patterns the more comfortable I am to following the lines. I cannot do anything with ROUND BLADES..
            The other John A. Nelson
            johnsworkshop.com
            sigpic

Comment

Charles is an amazing designer, he is one of the few where I can immediately see what it is. some designers put in lots of holes that only confuse the image.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by keystonecop View Post
                IMG_2224.JPG

Pattern By Charles Hand
                ¾” Black Walnut !0 Hours 50 Minutes cutting time
                30 Minutes drilling holes about 215

A few notes about things I like

I like true vector patterns because they allow me to change the size, thickness and color of the lines (RED), and fill the background color( greenish gray, also helps when drilling holes).. I use INKSCAPE a FREE program to resize and change the colors.

I have followed several pattern makers over the years who specialize in portrait type patterns. I admire what they do. I like cutting in ¾ inch thick hardwoods mainly Cherry and Black Walnut I have done a few Baltic birch portrait type cutting but only with FLAT blades. I have found that some of the pattern makers will provide a pdf of the patterns, but that sometimes does not mean it is a true vector drawing

I started using Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse #5 blades when they first came out, I have now switched to Pegas Scroll Saw Blades Modified Geometry blades and finding a #3 works well following very detailed cuts.
                IMG_2216.JPG
                WOW..That is insane! 10 hours I don't think I can do that in ten years. Its a little overwhelming to see how good you guys are. Hell I'll be happy when I can cut a circle perfectly round LOL.

Comment

Truly beautiful. You have talent and an eye for detailed lines.
                  Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Fantastic, love the piece of walnut you chose! I've done two pieces in 3/4" thick walnut now (the first one I hand carved texture onto). I have some nice pieces of cherry handed down from my uncle, maybe I'll try one of those next.

Comment

Originally posted by Salz721 View Post
                      Fantastic, love the piece of walnut you chose! I've done two pieces in 3/4" thick walnut now (the first one I hand carved texture onto). I have some nice pieces of cherry handed down from my uncle, maybe I'll try one of those next.
                      Thanks my favorite woods are Black Walnut and Cherry. I am working on a fret fish with some 20 year old cherry.. I think the cherry gets harder with age.. Mine and its.
                      The other John A. Nelson
                      johnsworkshop.com
                      sigpic

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X