Relief style "portrait" of siberian cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relief style "portrait" of siberian cat

A gentleman asked me to do a relief of a siberian cat, and this was the result. Overall finished size was right at 18" wide x 14" high. The image was all cut from one piece of maple, then in typical relief style portions of it were shimmed for height. Portions of it were left natural, and other areas dyed to the colors needed for this cat. Made the frame from red oak. On custom pieces I frequently email my clients progression pics along the way. This guy was so happy with it that I wasn't even finished yet and he ordered a dog too. Some people really love knowing what goes into their wood pieces. Makes them truly appreciate what their money is buying in yet another way.
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

And again, beautiful.

Comment

Another work of art, Linda.
      Denny
      ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Absolutely stunning! Have you considered cutting with a slight bevel so that the pieces don't have to be shimmed.?
        That of course depends on how thick the wood you are using is.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I actually do some bevel cutting when the pieces are conducive to it, but on things like the whiskers where the size is small or too narrow I still go back to shimming. Thanks for the reminder though!

Comment

Beautiful work!
            Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

The eyes are looking right at you. Beautiful.
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I think the biggest thing with animals is the need to get the eyes just right....but any cat's eyes are especially dramatic.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X