The Moon Fairy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Moon Fairy

it's been a while since i have posted, but i thought i would share this piece with you....i have combined my love of scroll sawing and paper quilling into a unique art form....

During the Renaissance, French and Italian nuns and monks used quilling to decorate book covers and religious items. The paper most commonly used was strips of paper trimmed from the gilded edges of books. These gilded paper strips were the rolled to create the quilled shapes. It is theorized that early wailers rolled their paper on a feather or quill, hence the name "quilling."

The Moon Fairy is #1 in a series of 4 fairies....the moon and fairy are cut on my scrollsaw from 1/2" maple plywood, sanded and painted.....the quilling paper is 1/4" wide which rolled and manipulated into different shapes...i used a 4 color gradient of purple paper to give the piece some "pop"....

if you look closely ar the corner gussets of the frame and the body of the fairy you will notice the veining lines.....i cut those use an FB superior puzzle blade and then threaded the paper thru....i think it creates a cool look....the crystals are Swarovski and add a little bling to the piece.....i also make the shadow box frame using poplar.....enoy,

Bob
    "The Journey is the Reward"

Very, very nice!
    ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

I love that design. It is awesome!!!! Did you design the sleigh that was in the magazine a few years ago. I cut that and did the quilling. It got me hooked. Thanks for sharing.
      Donna
      www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

Great work Rob, it looks wonderful.

Comment

Excellent attention to detail. Betty was doing some quilling if I remember correctly. I had forgotten that Tango also did the art form.
          Jim
          When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
          Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Great work with a wonderful choice of colors. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks for sharing with us.
            "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Hi Bob I was thinking about you last weekend, my wife had the ear rings on that she had bought from you at one of the open houses.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

It is always nice to see fellow scrollers taking the art to new heights. Well executed!
                cwmagee
                aka Fibber
                Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Originally posted by Tango View Post
                  I love that design. It is awesome!!!! Did you design the sleigh that was in the magazine a few years ago. I cut that and did the quilling. It got me hooked. Thanks for sharing.
                  Donna
                  hi..one and the same....i will post some of my designs from time to time....i belong to a quilling group and we host quilling weekends...if you are interested, send me a pm with your email addy and i will put you on our list...

Rolf...still doing the earrings and other interesting designs....i am happy that she likes them

bob.

"The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

As they say, great minds think alike.
                    Attached Files
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X