Deer fretwork, asking for suggestions how to finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer fretwork, asking for suggestions how to finish

So I have some wood a customer gave me to use for a project for them, white cedar. I don"t think I have ever worked with this wood before. So skipping some details, I have what I think is a very nice piece of wood about 3/4" x 9" x 12". I wanted to do a project with this piece of wood to see how it works and finishes.
    So in haste I found a fret work pattern of a buck standing alone with a crescent moon in the corner. I have done very little fret work projects.
    Since I like the natural look of wood, I try and do very little staining.
    My question is since the wood is very light in color, almost white, and the backer is going to be plywood with the grain running perpendicular, how to finishes this project.?
    So a deer should be brown and there are trees in the picture that look like white birch trees, (could be other birch other than white) and a moon which should be yellow. I thought about using a light blue stain for the background to make it look like blue sky.
    Also any information about the white cedar would be nice.
    The wood is very soft but works very nice. Another good thing the wood makes the shop smell good.

A picture would help a lot. I have used multiple colors on a backer before but I normally stay with black.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I don't know where I got this pattern, but I thought it was easy to do. I did as much cutting a I could with a straight blade and used a spiral blade for some of the finer areas

. IMG_2311.JPGIMG_2310.JPG

Comment

With that pattern and wood I would go with a black backer. One color is all you need but make it dark.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Agreed, I would also go with black. I have recently used some Minwax ebony stain that still shows the grain of the wood.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Black stain or a wash coat of a very dark blue paint would be my choices. A clear, solvent based finish on top will help bring out the character and accentuate grain in the white cedar.

Nice looking piece.
            Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Actually, I like it the way you are showing it. Put an oil finish on it and it will pop. It looks like the entire frame is a tree trunk. Beautiful matching pattern to wood. That's what I call "painting with wood."
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

thanks for the replies, I agree it looks great natural, but I am going to try a dark backer. I did some test with water colors on a scrap piece of wood, I think painting would work better with thinner wood like 1/4". So tonight I stained the back dark. I will post pictures after finish is on.

Comment

I absolutely love where the knot is and the accent it provides to your great work. That's an eye for artistic flare!
                  Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Hobbyhorse
                    Desk top music stand
                    by Hobbyhorse
                    A desk top music stand using one of Steve Good's patterns, made from 45,000 year old swamp kauri and finished with lacquer. The centre scrolled portion is 3 layers of the kauri at 3mm thick and laid up like plywood. I saw this pattern on one of Sandy's cuttings and rather liked it and put it i my to...
                    Today, 03:18 AM
                  • leehljp
                    Reply to Canisters or Bags
                    by leehljp
                    I have two DC units and use bags too. I have not used canisters because of what you said concerning price, and my experience with mini canister use on shop vacs. My experience in shop vacs and specifically the large FEIN 8 year old unit - is that the canister on it gets filled rather quickly; logic...
                    Yesterday, 09:47 PM
                  • millwab
                    Reply to House warming puzzle
                    by millwab
                    I usually don’t give anyone a picture either. Even my Christmas card puzzles go into the envelope unassembled with no indication of what the card looks like. For this one I made up my own card for them (complete with pictures) and put the envelope inside the box. Before they opened it I warned them...
                    Yesterday, 08:35 PM
                  • Will M
                    Reply to House warming puzzle
                    by Will M
                    Well done.I have been doing the same thing for my neighbors.After I take a picture of their house I add their names to it on the sidewalk.I don't give them a picture of it when I give it to them.They are really surprised when they get it together.
                    Will M
                    Yesterday, 07:35 PM
                  • Jim McDonald
                    Reply to Help
                    by Jim McDonald
                    Put the hammer down and slowly walk away. Twenty years of selling and supporting electronics taught me some new language and that a hammer is a poor choice for installing printer drivers. ...
                    Yesterday, 06:15 PM
                  Working...
                  X