Question about Matting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Matting

I have done a few portraits of things but I have yet to matte any of them. I was thinking about starting but I do have a question. When making my portraits I do the usual for an 8x10 I resize the pattern to 7x9 to have it fit in the frame. Same goes for 11x14. My question is what do you resize the pattern to when you are going to matte your portrait.

Thanks
    Jesse
    http://www.scrollsawwoodart.com

Originally posted by woodwilldo
    I have done a few portraits of things but I have yet to matte any of them. I was thinking about starting but I do have a question. When making my portraits I do the usual for an 8x10 I resize the pattern to 7x9 to have it fit in the frame. Same goes for 11x14. My question is what do you resize the pattern to when you are going to matte your portrait.

Thanks
    Jesse
    Would'nt it depend on the size matte you want to use!
    Marsha
    LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Thats what i was thinking. I guess it would just be the same type of resizing for a frame, just resize the pattern to the matte. It shows how after posting you think of the way to do it.

Jesse
      http://www.scrollsawwoodart.com

Comment

Do your cutting the size you want it, THEN have the matt cut to suit your taste, and frame accordingly.Dale
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

It all depends on if you will be making a custom frame or iof you will be using a standard store bought. You will also want make sure that the matting doesn't overpower your cutting. I now cut my own matts and mostly make my own frames.
          There was some very interesting disscussions a while back on this subject.
          I don't know how to attach a link to another thread so if you do a search in this forum on matting check out the "the difference presentation makes"

Would one of you wizzards please tell me how to link to an older thread. Thanks in advance.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

ok my question on matting is how do you mount the wood to the mat?
            Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

If your cutting outside dimensions are smaller than the mat dimensions so as to fit a larger frame then you could use photo mounting tape. It comes with a dispenser and it holds quite well, it will keep it in place with the help of a backer board. You could also tape across the corners as well. The best thing though is to cut the outside dimensions of the cutting to fit the frame and cut the mat accordingly.
              Troy

Scrollin' with DeWalt DW788

Comment

https://www.bindingsource.com
                go to tapes and then the ATG systems.
                It was worth every penny to me
                I bought the 700 and the 714. This way I have 1/4 and half inch adhesive ready to go.
                I also use the tape/ adhesive around the outside perimeter on the backs of my frames and put on black craft paper. It makes for a very professional framing presentation.

It is not a double sided tape it actualy puts down just the adhesive. And the binding source is great to deal with.
                Last edited by Rolf; 03-20-2007, 11:58 AM.
                Rolf

Comment

Actually Rolf, the pressure sensitive adhesive is what I was talking about earlier when I said photo mounting tape. I was out on the road and didn't have the package to refer to. This stuff works really well. Haven't used it on the paper backing though, haven't really thought about using it for this. I usually use glue to mount craft paper to back of frame.
                  Troy

Scrollin' with DeWalt DW788

Comment

Troy
                    This stuff is just the adhesive there is no tape.
                    Where did you get your stuff and what is it called?

The ATG works great for the backing I just put the adhesive around the edges right up to the edge and then lay it on top of my backing, press down, flip it over and then run my fingers over the edges to make sure it is stuck properly.
                    I then flip it over again on a foam board and carefully cut off the excess backing.
                    Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X