Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design input please

Scrollers,
    I have a first draft of my first portrait design and would like to hear what others might do to improve it before putting blade to wood. This is going to be a surprise for our Pastor and wife - their son just went into the Marines - using his "official" USMC picture. Please advise.
    Attached Files
    Bruce
    . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
    visit sometime
    Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

is there a way to take away some wood from the dark areas of his uniform and the brim of his hat? It would give a bit more "Wow" ..just my opinion tho

Sue Chrestensen

Comment

Hello Bruce, I've just finished my first design from a picture myself. It's a lot of fun knowing that you are able to bring it from photo to wood and create something that will be treasured a long time.

What program are you using? Keep in mind that I'm just getting started but the advice that I was given from others was to capture as many details as possible and not to leave so much wood in between, or blank spaces. Something that help me tremendously was Andy's tutorial. Have you read it yet?

Here's the link:

http://www.freewebtown.com/80ArtDesigns/page1.html

It all boils down to, I think, getting it completed to your satisfaction. But it sure is good to get others opinions that have been at this longer than I have. It just makes us all a little bit better.

Would sure like to see it as you progress.
      Troy

Scrollin' with DeWalt DW788

Comment

Hi Bruce, I had a play with the photo to see if I could get the effect that I believe Sue is talking about. I hope that you do not mind. Please give my thanks to this young man and his family for what he is doing for his country and all of us here in the USA. Steve
        Attached Files
        If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
        My Gallery
        [email protected]

Comment

I gave it a shot.... use it if it works for you. Sorry and can't do better!

Grizz
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like we have got a spammer on board.
            Check me out on the web:
            http://www.kerrysworld.com

Comment

Originally posted by kerry_nf
              Looks like we have got a spammer on board.
              Confused here - what am I missing?
              Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Usmc

Hi Bruce, I had another go at it. I hope you do not mind. If you can use any of them then they are yours. Steve
                Attached Files
                My Gallery
                [email protected]

Comment

Here is my rendition of the face. I really don't have the time or desire to experiment any further right now, bit I did play with the facial features. Of course, there is still more improvement to be made, but I feel a person must work with the paintbrush more to smooth out ears etc. I'm still not sold on the nose, but this is enough for now. I didn't mess with anything but the face.

Good luck.
                  Attached Files
                  Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                  www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Originally posted by PuzzledMoose
                    Confused here - what am I missing?
                    Ian...there was a message on the thread last night advertising different types of drugs, etc...from a member "drug.." something or other. The message has thankfully been removed. I see these types of messages a lot on my guestbook and they are quite common all over the Internet.

I can't recall, but is membership in this forum "instant" after you sign up or is there a verification process?
                    Check me out on the web:
                    http://www.kerrysworld.com

Comment

I am not trying to be unpatriotic but there is just something about the flag in the background that takes away from the young Marine. We all know he is a proud American just by his uniform.
                      Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Mick, that's a good point. That background has been used too many times. If you isolate the marine from the background, you'll see he is still a proud U.S. marine, without the distraction.

Here is kinda what it could like without the background. Once again, I didn't complete it to be a cuttable pattern, just an idea.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 03-11-2007, 11:35 AM.
                        Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                        www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Bruce, at some more suggestions I have tried again. This is just the marine. Steve
                          Attached Files
                          My Gallery
                          [email protected]

Comment

Bruce,
                            I think you are well on your way to a good pattern. The eyes need to be smoother and better shaped. My tendency is to remove a lot of wood to make contrasts and shadows, but I have seen some very well done " line " portraits. It is all about developing your own style in my opinion.
                            My style is more like what Steve and Mike have shared :

USMC_picture-18.jpg

I had a particularly hard time with the nose and mouth and still are not satisfied with it . I would work more on it if I were actually going to cut it. If you see things in mine that work feel free to use it . If you would like to take mine and work it more to your liking that would be OK too
                            Keep at it .......practice practice practice
                            ...~Robert~
                            DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

After seeing Sawdusters rendition of the pattern I would like to say the Marines Name or Unit where Sawdusters name is on the pattern would balance out the image.

I know the flag in the background could take away from the portrait. But the flag is there for a reason, to balance out the picture. Otherwise it would have been taken head on.

I think simple text will balance it instead.
                              CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                              "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                              Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X