No announcement yet.

I did it and feel good about it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the kind words. The oak ply is the kind Jeff Z uses. It came with the DVD I got for Christmas. And, yes, the grain would look better the other direction but the pattern is kind of odd size and would not fit the other way. JZ sells the wood on his site as well as Scroller Ltd. He says it is a special type with slightly thicker veneer. All I know is that cut like a dream and had absolutlely no problem with the veneer coming loose. I use a lot of BB and have that problem with the 1/8 stock. If I use oak again I will be getting it from him.

I think I hear a choo-choo coming.

EarlinJax
    BTW, the pattern is of Split Rock Lighthouse on the North Shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota. Our home state and favorite drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Jediscroller
      Ideally, you want a "HVHC" type ply, whether oak, cherry, or maple.
      Could I have a translation, Kevin? No idea what HVHC is - sorry if it's a dumb question ...
      Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Originally posted by PuzzledMoose
        Could I have a translation, Kevin? No idea what HVHC is - sorry if it's a dumb question ...
        Hardwood Veneer Hardwood Core
        Mia

We are the music makers.
        We are the dreamers of dreams.

Easy scrollin' with a DW788

Comment

Bravo on the nice piece. About 90% of the stuff I cut is Jeffs work and I find them actually very forgiving and somewhat easy because of it. They're not that hard but do look very intimidating at first glance. You fix it up with a nice frame job then look at it and you'll be hooked on his stuff and those like.
          Eleven hours on your first Zaffino piece isn't bad. I bet if you cut that same piece next week you could cut a few hours off easily.
          Great work!
          Confuscious says, "The cautious seldom err".
          Confuscious didn't own a scrollsaw either.

Comment

Originally posted by miamw
            Hardwood Veneer Hardwood Core
            Thanks, Mia.
            Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

"Where do you get the oak ply, BTW? I think someone said Sloan's have it but they don't ship to Canada."
              Believe it or not... after buying some small sheets of oak plywood from one of our scroller vendors, I found it was the same oak plywood I used for the big inserts in the doors of my Model A. I had bought that at Home Depot for $32 for a 4x8x1/4 sheet. They had it in 4x4 and 2x4 sheets too. Any idea where I can get some of the more exotic woods at a decent price? I'd love to try some bubinga, bloodwood and some pieces of oval shaped wood with the bark still on the edges. I'm going nuts not being able to go out into the shop......
              Pop
              Delta 16" 40-530
              Ryobi 16" VS

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember it was amateurs that built the ARK but Professionals that built the Titanic!"

Comment

Try www.exoticwoods.com They ship worldwide.
                Mia

We are the music makers.
                We are the dreamers of dreams.

Easy scrollin' with a DW788

Comment

Earlinjax, nice job, I love all lighthouses. I get my 1/4" oak plywood at Wildwood designs. They are just a 10 minute drive for me here in Janesville. From all the stuff I have been hearing about them on different forums maybe I shouldn't mention them.
                  Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Re: the oak plywood.

Surprisingly this ply has some sort of man made core. I have used ply with man made core that I got from the BORG and that was junk. This stuff is good. I'm not pushing Jeff's stuff but if you are going to cut oak ply I would recommend giving it a try.

EarlinJax

Comment

I'm impressed... Is there a pattern available. My sister has a thing about lighthouses and I would love to do this one for her.
                      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                      No task is too tedious for Art.
                      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

WWW.advancedscrollsawpatterns.com

Earlinjax

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics