First piece first portrait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First piece first portrait

I'm not sure if I am attaching the Pictures right or not but here goes. These pictures are the photograpgh I started with and that I turned into a pattern to saw and the piece I finished cutting today. It is my first scroll saw project. It is cut out of 1/4" baltic birch. It took me about 4 or 5 hours to cut. Any tips as to what backing to use or color of backing and a good color of stain to make it stand out.

Last edited by kyscroller; 05-14-2007, 02:15 PM.

Id say black matt board. I think your cutting looks pretty nice, but I think a bit more of the beard would make it look more like the photo. I cant make patterns from pictures, but I would think that photo would have been difficult to work with because of distance and lighting. Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Thanks.
      It was a picture of my dad and the only picture I could find quick enough to convert to a pattern to start sawing. I just got the saw last sunday and started playing with the patterns after I got the saw. I got alot to learn. I have read several threads on here about helping converting photos to patterns but that seems to be a whole new learning curve trying to get hair and facial hair to come out right.

Comment

Originally posted by kyscroller
        that seems to be a whole new learning curve trying to get hair and facial hair to come out right.
        You just need to scroll bald-headed clean shaven people, KY

Seriously that cutting looks great.
        Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Hey ky, the cutting looks very good for a first attempt.

One thing I would recommend to watch for...the line where the ply panels are fused ... try and avoid using a wood piece with that in there.

I cut one one time where that line when right along a little girls lips and completely ruined the portriat (I had to do it over).

Otherwise, good on ya bud.
          Check me out on the web:
          http://www.kerrysworld.com

Comment

As for the backing, I just use the black felt that you can get at Wal Mart...very cheap but very nice.
            Check me out on the web:
            http://www.kerrysworld.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
              Reply to New tools
              by jim_mex
              Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
              Yesterday, 11:14 PM
            • Hobbyhorse
              Reply to New tools
              by Hobbyhorse
              Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
              Yesterday, 11:03 PM
            • Hobbyhorse
              Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
              by Hobbyhorse
              Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
              Yesterday, 10:58 PM
            • KarlB
              Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
              by KarlB
              Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
              Yesterday, 09:41 PM
            • KarlB
              Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
              by KarlB
              Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
              Yesterday, 09:31 PM
            Working...
            X