• Show
Clear All

• lucky788scroller
    replied
    Good for her Mike!! Shes what makes you tick! Dale

Leave a comment:

• MikeDingas
    replied
    Thanks for the encouragement. That's one of the reasons I like this board so much. Oh, BTW, my 'model' enjoyed your comments, too. A little too much, I think!

Leave a comment:

• Minnesota scroller
    replied
    It looks like a nice puzzle. However, I really don't know squat about puzzles. Maybe someday, I'll expand my horizons. I still have to learn how to make a picture frame.

Pretty noble of your daughter to pose with you.

Keep cutting and showing them so we can monitor your progress.

Leave a comment:

• PuzzledMoose
    replied
    Looks like a pretty good first attempt there, Mike. 1/4 inch would definitely be easier to cut though ...

I think I'm right in thinking Carter uses FD puzzle blades, which is what I've used on puzzles - they might be worth a try if you're not happy with the kerf on the Olson's you used?
    You need a title for it? How 'bout "Beauty and the Beast"?

Leave a comment:

• Rivari
    replied
    Okay Mike...how much did you have to pay the pretty lady to pose with you?

Seriously though I think you did a fine job there.

Leave a comment:

• lucky788scroller
    replied
    That looks great, specially for a first attempt!Lovely model you have there posing with you too! Dale

Leave a comment:

• Carter-Johnson
    replied
    Good start...I agree; you'll find 1/4" actually easier to work with. Stay loose and you'll find your pieces becoming more rounded and less like store-bought puzzles, and adhering more to the color lines around and within faces.

Yes, I'm the guy who picks up completed puzzles by an edge and waves them, but that's more difficult with fewer pieces and all but impossible with 1/8" wood. You sure don't have to meet that criteria. Just relax and cut pieces as you feel them with your fingers.

And always remember, what you think is a mistake, or a poorly cut piece, will seldom be noticed by anyone else.

Have phun.....Carter

Leave a comment:

• MikeDingas
    started a topic 1st jigsaw puzzle

1st jigsaw puzzle

I used a photo from my color printer that didn't reproduce well as my first try at jigsaw puzzle making. I used 1/8" BB but have 1/4" for my serious attempts.

Blade choice was an Olson 3/0 and I broke the first blade before I even turned on the power. Too much tension. I expected better results in the kerf. Carl, I think, has said he can hold his puzzles up by the corner without the puzzle falling apart. No such luck on mine. Too loose.

I tried the free-hand cutting. As you can see, I need more practice. But, I think I like that cutting style. Puzzle ended up as 47 pieces and measures 5x7.5 inches. Some pieces are large, others small. Well, I guess that's why I opted a practice puzzle first.
    Attached Files

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• mtwoodguy
    Reply to Hi All
    by mtwoodguy
    Welcome Ian from Reno Nevada! Glad to have you aboard. Some saws can be frustrating, and others we love. Lots of help available here.
    Today, 03:11 PM
  • Kingpin
    Hi All
    by Kingpin
    Hello Everyone, Just joined and wanted to say hi I am Ian from England, Been working with wood most of My life in one form or another and only recently acquired a cheap little saw that I am yet to use in anger
    Today, 12:53 PM
  • Linda In Phoenix
    Reply to Bruce’s new toys
    by Linda In Phoenix
    $35 was a great price no matter what. Bruce definitely scored big time. And by the same token, the wife found new homes for her hubby's stuff that she had no use for. I'd rather sell cheap to someone who may actually use them than any other purpose.
    Today, 10:54 AM
  • will8989
    Reply to Bruce’s new toys
    by will8989
    After cleaning the wheel and going through the drawers he found all the attachments/tools that came with the grinder. He priced everything and it was $500 plus. A member was selling the tools tor the wife of a member whose husband died last year. You think SLRA is picky with measuring, you should see...
    Today, 10:22 AM
  • NC Scroller
    Reply to Original DW-788 Dewalt scroll saw made by Excalibur & sold by Sommerville
    by NC Scroller
    Yes, there is a market for the original. I think there are a couple other FL scrollers on this site. There are also a few on the Scrollsaw Village site. I would try scroll saw sites before I attempt Facebook Market Place or Craigslist....
    Today, 09:47 AM
Working...
X