Water Wolf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Wolf

This is my most intense project to date. The northern pike has 332 holes and took almost 7 1/2 hours to drill and cut. I'm quite a bit slower than Ozarkhillbilly and Jediscroller but at least all parts are still intact. The pattern was provided by Mrsaw. I cut this out of 1/4" BB ply using Olosn size 0 skiptooth blades. I'll probably get a frame for this one.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 02-03-2007, 08:10 AM.
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Very nice work Mike! Slow and steady gets the job done is my motto. It would have taken me much longer than that!

Sherri
    Sherri

Comment

Very good!! After that much work I don't think I would skrimp on the frame though.
      Bill

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
      and website www.billswoodntreasures.com

Comment

Last edited by Mick Walker; 02-02-2007, 10:41 AM.
        Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Awesome job Mike on a very detailed pattern!
          I wouldn't skimp to much on the frame either as it deserves a frame worthy of the art.
          I've never fished for Pike myself but it sure looks like a mean fish!

Well done!! And not a spiral blade in sight!
          Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Nice work, Mike. Your title had me confused for a minute though _ I'd never heard of a water wolf ..
            Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Thanks all for your compliments.

Mick, getting the 45's to meet is the same problem I have. I have attempted frames and it's going good until I get to the last corner. Not even close. I use a miter saw, but the angle must not be perfect. What's your secret?

Bill, northern pike ARE mean fish. When you hook one over 5#, they get nasty. They'll tangle up in the net and you don't want to put your fingers in the mouth. The teeth are razor sharp on all sides. I don't normally fish for them because they are the slimiest fish you're ever going to not want to touch. I understand it's a protective slime but it's just like mucus running down and dripping. If you don't mind picking thru tons of Y bones, they actually taste quite good.

Ian, the term water wolf was used in folklore.
              Mike

Comment

Intense is not a strong enough word. Great job!

Comment

nice job. That would take me weeks to cut out and alot of lost hair I'm sure!
                  Jeff Powell

Comment

Wow, not much wood left in there! Good job, Mike.
                    Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
                    Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

Yup, the cutting looks great! slap it in a frame and move on to the next one! Looks good sir. Dale

Any particular reason my post was edited without notification? My PM box isnt full? Dale
                      Last edited by lucky788scroller; 02-03-2007, 01:47 PM.
                      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Mike, the secret to perfect frames is making sure the opposing sides are EXACTLY the same length. You can cut perfect 45's and if the length of the parallel sides are not equal the whole frame will be off. I use a miter saw with a Freud 80 tooth blade. I cut the 2 pieces together or use a stop block insuring the same length. Formula for frames. Frame stock width, subtract rabbet, multiply by 2, add this figure to heighth and width of picture.
                        8 X 10 picture with a 2" frame and a 1/2" rabbet. Outside measurement of the frame would be 11" X 13".
                        2-1/2= 1 1/2 X 2= 3 +8= 11. 3+10= 13
                        Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mick Walker]Mike, the secret to perfect frames is making sure the opposing sides are EXACTLY the same length. You can cut perfect 45's and if the length of the parallel sides are not equal the whole frame will be off. /QUOTE]

Mick, that may have been my problem in the past. I always blamed it on my saw. I always cut 1 and then lined it on top of the next one, marked it with a pencil and cut. I suppose even 1/32" could make a difference.

I'll be adding this to the brief tutorial by Kevin and the additional remarks from Jeff. This all helps for when I can get back outside. Considering we had -40 windchills this morning, it may be a few days.

Thanks for the info.
                          Mike

Comment

Nice job scrolling that Pike Mike I know it wasn't an easy one to cut so cudos to you bud on a fine work of art
                            Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

I like the pike, Mike !
                              Good job !
                              ...~Robert~
                              DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• scrollerpete
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by scrollerpete
                                You did a fantastic job Denny, I’m sure you will have an happy customer...
                                Today, 12:33 PM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                This is a custom order request. The pattern is by Harvey Byler purchased from WoodCraftByScott.com. I enlarged the pattern by 10%. Cut at home on the EX21 using FD UR #5 blades. The wood is Poplar approximately 7" x 9". Sanded with the Sand Flee and dipped in Shellac diluted 50% with...
                                Today, 10:43 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                Quartz. What are you not certain of?
                                I needed to make a couple of custom sized Octagonal replacement windows, I wanted the most precision. I don't remember where I bought it. If I had seen the bi-directional Incra 1000 I probably would have bought it instead. With the 2000 you have to choose...
                                Today, 09:08 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by Rolf
                                Love every bit of it! The lighting really makes it pop. Would you mind sharing the source for the lights that you used?...
                                Today, 08:55 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                                by Rolf
                                I am very curious as to how the the slots were cut? The lathe work part of it is simple....
                                Today, 08:51 AM
                              Working...
                              X