A trio of boids - but no ducks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A trio of boids - but no ducks

Did a bit of finishing of backers in between termiting ..

I cut these a couple of weeks ago - more leaves - I think they're addictive ..lol

1/2 oak cut with a combination of FD-SR #1 and #3 blades - aerosol painted backers.
    Attached Files
    Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

those are so kewl Ian, very nice vien cutting and the detail is superb
    Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

Super scrolling Ian, you've certainly got a way with the bird's
      kevin/pitbull.

Comment

Very beautiful work! I am a new scroller and am fascinated with this kind of design. I have never put backers on my pieces. How do you attach them?
        Sherri

Comment

Those are great. You must have a special on 1/2 inch oak. Seems that everything you make is in oak. I must check that out. Thought it was an expensive wood.
          Diane
          Dragon
          Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
          Owner of a Dewalt 788
          PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

DARN IT IAN !!! That little sparrow sh*t on my keyboard !!!!!
            Wonder how they taste fried.. lol
            Looks good enough to eat my friend
            Sharon

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon
              Those are great. You must have a special on 1/2 inch oak. Seems that everything you make is in oak. I must check that out. Thought it was an expensive wood.
              Diane

Thanks, Diane. I pay about 4.90 per board foot for rough 4/4 red oak - dunno how much it costs in other areas but that's the cheapest I can get it round here .. I have had a couple of boards quite a bit cheaper than that if they've had edge damage, which doesn't matter at all for the leaves.

I plane it down myself to the half inch for the leaves, doing about 6 foot at a time and then figuring out how many patterns I can get on to waste as little as possible... kinda like doing a jigsaw puzzle ..lol
              Ian

Comment

Originally posted by SharonW0111
                Looks good enough to eat my friend
                Sharon

Sounds like you'd eat anything Sharon -
                Ian

Comment

Originally posted by doodle1
                  Very beautiful work! I am a new scroller and am fascinated with this kind of design. I have never put backers on my pieces. How do you attach them?
                  Thanks Doodle - and welcome to the board. What part of Canada are you from?

The backing is 1.8mm Finnish ply from Lee Valley. It's just stuck on with ordinary wood glue, a thin layer around the ouside edge of the leaf and usually 2 or three dabs somewhere in a solid piece in the middle, so that the glue doesn't squeeze in between the frets ...

Squeeze-out on the outside of the leaf will wipe off with a damp cloth before it dries ..

There's a small sawtooth hanger on the back - it's stuck on with CA glue, not nailed or screwed.
                  Ian

Comment

fabulous work Ian, such an inspiration to such as me.
                    Tell me though, when cutting something like the tail feathers, and you get right to the top end, do you leave the blade running when backing out, or turn off and pull backwards..
                    Last edited by stevebuk; 01-23-2007, 12:25 PM.
                    http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by stevebuk
                      fabulous work Ian, such an inspiration to such as me.
                      Tell me though, when cutting something like the tail feathers, and you get right to the top end, do you leave the blade running when backing out, or turn off and pull backwards..

Thanks for the compliment, Steve.

If the veining ends in the middle of the piece I switch off the saw, undo the bottom clamp and just lift the blade free from the workpiece - taking care not to turn the workpiece before I do it. Backing all the way out of some of those wing cuts would be tricky I would think ..

There is a certain amount of backing up in the middle of the wings, moving from one section to another and yes i leave the saw running for that ..

Hope this makes sense...
                      Ian

Comment

Thanks for the info Ian. I may try a backing on the piece I am working on now. Always gotta try something new!
                        Sherri

Comment

thanks Ian, makes perfect sense to me..
                          http://www.cabincraft.co.uk

Comment

Ian, what got you addicted to these leaves? I find that a small artist brush comes in handy if you have any glue squeeze out on the inside. Just let it dry and touch up with a little paint. Steve
                            If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
                            My Gallery
                            [email protected]

Comment

Nice flock of geese you've got there.
                              Kelly
                              "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tgiro01
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by tgiro01
                                One issue I found with the insert that comes with the saw was the areas they smoothed for the kickback pawls. If the insert is leveled correctly, those areas are sitting about 1/32-inch below the table. I had a problem with some small pieces getting caught and jamming because of that. Sawstop's recommendation...
                                Today, 08:18 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Interesting pallet
                                by Rolf
                                That is a definit rescue for a special project. I rarely get or use any pallet wood. But did use some from the pallet that my drill press was on. It looked like pine but was was very hard, carefully checked for nails and ran it through the drum sander with some 80 grit to get rid of any small grit.
                                Today, 08:16 AM
                              • Quartz43
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by Quartz43
                                I wish I could post the video as it looks better with the lights blinking. I used some red clear plastic behind the eyes and nose. It was a fun project.
                                Yesterday, 07:29 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Interesting pallet
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Maybe a star shining to tell us something? That piece of wood is a very special piece! Good eye.
                                Yesterday, 07:27 PM
                              • Misouri Wayne
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by Misouri Wayne
                                Tough situation. Just have to take it one day at a time.
                                Yesterday, 04:55 PM
                              Working...
                              X