No announcement yet.

How much time do you spend at the saw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much time do you spend at the saw?

Was just wondering what the average time most of you spend at your saw? I usually will cut for 1/2 hour to an hour, take a break and do something else just to give my eyes a rest.
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Weather permitting, I'll average 2 hours a day during my work week, and on my days off you can count on me being in front of my saw 5-8 hours a day.
    Now however, I spend my time here, or designing portraits to do in the future.
    Someday I'll get that heated workshop and then my wife will be a true shop widow.
    Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

I'll generally spend my time in 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour blocks, take a 5 or 10 minute break, then go back to it. If the project takes 3 or 4 hours or so, I will spend that much time that day, so I get it done. Unless it's a quickie, I usually won't do more than 1 project a day.
      Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
      www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

I'm with Bill, 2 hours on work days and about 5 or so during the weekends...when I actually have weekends off.
        Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Hey Ozarkhillbilly,
          I have only been in your state 4 or 5 times but I would think a heated workshop would be low priority---- It has always been so hot that I would look for an air-conditioned shop.

Comment

I have a great idea Bill, just relocate for the winter to Tampa with the family then ya can scroll year round
            Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

If I get a couple of sessions (morning or afternoon) at the saw each week, I seem to be doing well nowadays. I can cut uninterrupted for several hours if I don't complete the project first.

Most of my time is now at the computer designing patterns. Cutting them is probably the least time that any project takes up - I spend much longer shaping the segments and finishing them.

Gill
              There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
              (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Since I am homebound and live alone I spend most of my waking hours in my shop - either sawing or sanding -and my shop was once the old living room so I am sometimes working at 2 am if the mood hits. I haven't seen much of my house other than a pass through in ages. the big living room now has a big screen and a fireplace but I seldom go in. my little 13 inch tv in my shop is always going and that is where I spend most all of my time.
                Sharon
                unless I am in here in my sewing room on the puter in the forum..
                Sharon

Comment

Hi Everyone, here after christmas is my time to create some new patterns. We have been having some down time at work because of the economy is slow right now in the cabinet business. So I have been spending most of my time designing. I have done close to three dozen new designs since christmas and had to stop today to start cutting one of them. A little off subject there. I will generally spend a couple of hours a day in the shop and sometimes all day on saturday and sunday if the honey-do list is done.Steve
                  If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
                  My Gallery
                  [email protected]

Comment

I try to get 2 1/2 hours at minimum of shoptime each night after work, but it varies. If I am on a project, and its going good, I can sit there for hours, if its something thats giving me fits, I will get up and do something else a while. Thats one good reason to only drill 20 or 30 holes at a time, it gives you a little break from sittin on the stool. Dale
                    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I like to spend 2 hours or more playing downstairs if I can. As long as I have my honey do list done time is my own. Right now I am between jobs and I have been out job hunting.
                      JWH

Comment

My sessions depend upon the complexity of what I'm cutting. I just finished a guitar clock for my grandson in one 2 hour sitting. Something with more detail that requires extra concentration I'll do in shorter sessions. I generally pay attention to my reactions to cutting sharp turns and smooth arcs. When I find myself wandering, I take a break.
                        Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
                        Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

Building Inventory I spend 10 -12 hours at my real work and then drive an hour home, spend till 10 or 11 in the shop about 4 hours a night and fulltime on weekend at least 8 hours maybe more, I live in NY and made my shop heated turn it on in the morning and it runs till the we hours of the night.

Shoppe Widow doesn't complain amazingly enough. Will be moving closer to my work in the upcoming months so time may die off while in the process of minor repairs and upgrades.

Money is better so time is worth it.
                          crfty
                          Newfield, New York Scroller
                          Dewalt 788 & Dremel 1800
                          http://www.CraftyNYScrolling.com

Comment

I rarely get in my shop during the week. By the time I get home and eat a bite there just isn't time . Generally I spend that time on design. Usually get 2 to 4 hours cutting time in on Fri nite and a good 6 hrs ( or more ) each on Sat and Sun ....depending on yard chores, honey-doos and whatnot . If I'm on an involved project I can be there for several hours straight, but like Dale I only drill a couple of dozen holes at a time . I tend to have a couple of things going at once . I'm not really patient when it comes to finishing and it helps to have something else to work on while other stuff is drying. I'm getting pretty good at rotating projects to make the most of what time I have and learning when to shut it down and wait until tomorrow so as not to screw up a lot of hard work
                            ...~Robert~
                            DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

My shop time various on the time of year. October through December I will spend 2-3 hours after dinner in the shop. Longer on the weekends. January through mid March I normally back down to about 1.5-2 hours. The rest of year I'm hit and miss doing other chores or going fishing.
                              Scott
                              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Quartz43
                                I have an implanted spinal cord stimulator to help with back pain. They also have warnings about welding. I could not get one when I was working in an electric furnace steelmaking shop as the electrodes were over 1000 amps and volts. I have also decided to stay away from welding as I just do not...
                                Today, 03:40 PM
                              • hotshot
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by hotshot
                                You did a great job on that video. You speak and explain well!...
                                Today, 02:27 PM
                              • RJweb
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by RJweb
                                I am glad it is all working out for you, RJ...
                                Today, 01:31 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
                                Today, 11:51 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Sundays market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
                                Today, 11:39 AM
                              Working...
                              X