Dolphin Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolphin Family

I have a niece who's a Dolphin nut so I designed this portrait for her. It contained 408 cuts and took me about 7 hours to do. I cut this one from 1/4" oak ply as I felt the grain would add to the cutting.
    Attached Files
    Kevin
    Scrollsaw Patterns Online
    Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

very nice Kevin, I have a few Dolphin patterns but I need to find more, as I am sure them and Manatees would be a big hit in Florida
    Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

Very Nice

Very Nice Kevin!

I like the clean view of the dolphins and the "family unity" that came to mind when I seen it.

Well done my friend.

Take care
      Toni

Comment

That's a nice design - and a lot of cuts
        Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

great job kevin, it would take me 7 weeks to do 408 cuts, ah well practice,practice,practice etc.etc.etc.
          kevin/pitbull.

Comment

EXCELLENT pattern and cutting! You are right, the grain looks like water currents!
            ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

7 hours!?! I'm working on something with half as many cuts and I've been going for about 7 hours already and I'm only about half way through. I'll keep at it and hopefully I can achieve that level of experience eventually.

That is a really nice piece. The grain even makes it look like they are swimming in water.
              Jim
              DeWalt DW788 & Dremel 1680

Comment

Very nice, Kevin. Aside from liking dolphins anyhow I like the composition of your design too.

What type(s) of blade did you use to cut that?
                Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Now that is a pattern I really like -- there aren't many dolphin patterns out there and none that are good--till I saw yours.. Great job
                  Sharon

Comment

Very nice, Kevin!

Geez, almost 1 cut per minute for seven hours... You're a patient fellow as well as nimble-fingered, sir!

Pete

Comment

Thanks for the kind words all. There were a lot of little cuts and they don't take very long. Being my own pattern, I'm not so worried about staying on the lines.
                      Ian, I cut a stack of 2 of these with a #1 FD-SR blade. I normally use a #3 but this had so many very small cuts I went with the smaller blade.
                      Kevin
                      Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                      Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Originally posted by Jediscroller
                        Ian, I cut a stack of 2 of these with a #1 FD-SR blade. I normally use a #3 but this had so many very small cuts I went with the smaller blade.
                        Thanks, Kevin. I've used the FD-SR #3s for most of what I've done lately. I switched to the #1s to some some small cuts in a pattern I just finished with some long thin cuts - biggest problem I had was figuring out which way up the blade went ..lol Dunno why - I don't think it's smaller than a puzzle blade but I couldn't even feel which way the teeth were going! Must be getting insensitive fingers as well as old eyes ..
                        Ian

Comment

To tell which way the teeth are going I have a store of old cotten balls in my shop, those removed from pill bottle's, etc. wipe the blades lightly with them and you will know which way for sure is down.
                          Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                          Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                          Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckD
                            To tell which way the teeth are going I have a store of old cotten balls in my shop, those removed from pill bottle's, etc. wipe the blades lightly with them and you will know which way for sure is down.
                            Thanks for that Chuck - now why didn't I think of that? ...
                            Ian

Comment

Wow ! Kevin that is just awesome. The grain tops it off perfectly. I hope I can get half as good as that one day
                              Nice work !
                              ...~Robert~
                              DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X