X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bubbantenn
    Registered User - Level 2
    • Nov 2008

Butterfly Cross

I haven't posted anything for a while. Been busy with my dad and mom.
    Anyway, here is the latest cross from my work shop. My cousins wife asked if I could make a cross and include a butterfly somehow. This is what I cut for her.
    It's cut from 5 ply birch and I've yet to stain it. Size is about 9 inches high and 6 inches wide. I posted with and without the Christ figure. Not sure if I'm going to use it or not.
    Offer your suggestions as to stain or not, use a backer or not, etc. I love input!

Bubba
    Attached Files
    "Live as though Christ died yesterday, arose this morning, and is coming back tomorrow."
  • wood-n-things
    Grandpa making Sawdust
    • Nov 2005

I personally like the natural look, so no stain and a backer is optional it may/will make it pop more depending on backer chosen. Will you be sharing the pattern this time? Nice job I prefer no statue too.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

• PatteM
      • Dec 2010

The cross is outstanding - I LOVE it! My favorite is with the Jesus figure, especially with the butterfly's wings fanned out directly behind the figure. But both versions are breathtaking, so with- or without I think needs to be the decision of the owner. GREAT job!

Comment

• NC Scroller
        • Nov 2006

I love the look of nature wood so I say no stain. For a backing I would trace around the cross using a pencil inserted into a large washer so the backing is larger then the cross but has the same basic shape. The backing would be painted or stained to contrast with the cross.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

• wsmith0896
          Wade's Woodwerks
          • Mar 2011

It is gorgeous as is. Beuatiful job.

Comment

• bubbantenn
            • Nov 2008

Thanks everyone. The cousin who ordered this for her mother agrees with all of you...no stain.
            NC, I've been using the washer trick for years but this time the customer asked to leave it just the way it is. I agree with you, though.
            Pattern may be forthcoming. I want to hold on to this one for just a while and see if I get any more responses.
            Merry Christmas everyone!!

Bubba
            "Live as though Christ died yesterday, arose this morning, and is coming back tomorrow."

Comment

• martzy
              Member - Level 2
              • Jan 2011

In some ways I like the figure and some ways I don't. If you look at if as Christ mophing into something new, like a butterfly does, that's not exactly correct. But if you look at it as life coming from death, that's pretty much spot on. I guess that's what makes it a good artistic piece. It's open to interpretation.
              Keith

Comment

• Markru2002
                Member - Level 2
                • Sep 2010

Hi Bubba, welcome back. I like it without stain and no Christ figure. If this was for Easter, I would leave the Christ figure.
                Mark
                Proud new owner of an EX-21

WWW.MGMWOODWORKS.COM

Comment

• penquin1
                  • Nov 2008

Very nice, if it was me I would use a backer just to bring out the detail in the cutting better. A dark background would really make the cross stand out. I would also leave the figure off of it and just offer the wooden cross.
                  Like you say it is up to interpretation by all who look at it. If you do offer the pattern I would love to have a copy.
                  Great looking work.
                  jim
                  penquin

Comment

• Steviegwood
                    • May 2006

Hi Bubba, I love the pattern as my wife collects butterflies and hummingbirds. The first one is my favorite, natural with no figure. If you decide to share or sell the pattern please let me know. If you can come up with one with a hummingbird in it Please let me know. Thanks. Steve [email protected]
                    If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
                    My Gallery
                    [email protected]

Comment

• AirNationalGuardMom
                      Member - Level 2
                      • Jan 2008

Thats beautiful.
                      Linda

Comment

• bubbantenn
                        • Nov 2008

All right...so many nice compliments and requests for the pattern, so....
                        I am going to post this one on the new patterns forum along with another pattern I just completed. The second pattern is also a butterfly and cross but much more delicate and unproven. I haven't had time to proof cut it yet so if you want to use it, keep a watchful eye out for floaters. I believe it is okay, though.
                        Again, thank you all so much for the wonderful comments and for sharing your thoughts. No matter how long it is in between visits, I always treasure my family here.

Bubba

Comment

• Scrollriffic
                          Member - Level 2
                          • Nov 2008

i think it looks great. I would cut it if the pattern comes available. Bobby

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
                            Reply to Well it is done.
                            by meflick
                            Scott, glad to see one surgery behind you. Prayers for both of you as you try to work with only one hand....
                            Yesterday, 08:58 PM
                          • Dan A
                            Reply to Wood Sources
                            by Dan A
                            I have been looking around and like i said in another post. Someone I only know in passing brought me several boards of Oak in different thicknesses. I really want to use them for making collapsible baskets and boxes. I'm still trying to find the right angle and blade to use.

My cutting...
                            Yesterday, 05:57 PM
                          • Dan A
                            by Dan A
                            Take it from me, go easy. I'm still waiting for my right shoulder to quit hurting and that surgery was back in September. I hope everything goes well and you heal quickly.

Dan
                            Yesterday, 05:33 PM
                          • NC Scroller
                            by NC Scroller
                            Thanks Denny....
                            Yesterday, 05:11 PM
                          • NC Scroller
                            by NC Scroller
                            Fibber, it is a degenerative joint problem. Actually on both hands. If all goes well with this one I will have the right done in the fall....
                            Yesterday, 05:11 PM
                          Working...