Something different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something different

Last weekend I saw something totally different at Knott's Berry Farm that I had never thought about, cut coins. I took Sharon's recommendation (in another thread) and picked up some jewelers blades and gave it a try myself. You can see plenty of mistakes in this picture, but I still had fun cutting it. I taped this one to a piece of 1/8" hard board for cutting and it seemed to work ok. The biggest problem I had was metal dust collecting just below the tape along my cut line making it hard to see exactly where I was supposed to make my turns. Next time I'm going to have to make something that will hold the coin more securely without using tape. The finished coin was 'taken' by my mom within minutes of finishing. At least she let me get some pictures first.

The jewelers blades I used seemed to be really brittle. The first one that broke left three small pieces on my saw. The second blade broke while I was tensioning it and also left a few small pieces on the table. Either I picked up some bad blades, or they are really that brittle.
    Attached Files
    Jim
    DeWalt DW788 & Dremel 1680

Looks great, specially for a first try at it. It was a quarter, now what is it? a dime? Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

That is great, Jim. So how many blades did it take in the end to cut that quarter?

Where I used to live in England there was a guy who used to cut coins and make pins, earrings etc out of them. I bought my sister a pair of earrings from him and managed to get ones with her birth year on them - as in the picture below - though these ones aren't cut . He'd cut all the way round the ship on the ha'penny - though not the internal cuts on the rigging

He seemed to do a really good business with them. He cut with a jeweller's hand saw though!

Mostly he used out of circulation old UK coins - pre-decimal (when we had pounds shillings and pence) I'm not sure if there's any legal reason in the UK why current coins shouldn't be cut. I seem to think that I read somewhere that in the US it's OK as long as you're not defacing them for fraudulent reasons.

You have a lot of interesting designs in the US for cutting - especially with all those new state quarters that have been coming out. I'd like to see more..
      Attached Files
      Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

The place I first saw these had many different coins available from all over the world. I even saw that half penny cut out. He did earrings, necklace charms, broches, money clips, and just coins (which he called golf markers). He also finished them differently, some polished as is, some dipped in sterling silver, and other gold plated or partially plated for contrast. It was simply amazing and I don't think I will ever get to his level of expertise and detail. He did them all with a hand saw also!

With this one quarter I broke 2 blades. I wanted to do more detail and cut out a bit more of the background, but wasn't really sure of myself just yet. The next one I try hopefully will have more cut from it for better details.

Before cutting this I had my doubts of the legallity of this. I did some research and found what you said, that it's ok to do this for the purpose of making art or jewelry, but illegal if done with intent to defraud.

I don't know if i will keep at the cutting of coins, but it is fun and interesting. Since I'm in the Navy I have collected lots of foreign coins from around the world giving me lots of other options and challenges in the future.
        Jim
        DeWalt DW788 & Dremel 1680

Comment

Get hold of one of these, Jim - it's got a dirty great access hole in it already!
          Attached Files
          Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
            Reply to My covid angel
            by NC Scroller
            Whatever way you decide to do if you are happy and your brother in law is happy it was a good idea. If you really want to be brave use it as a learning experience. Make several of them using different suggestions and see the difference....
            Today, 12:35 PM
          • Bill Wilson
            Reply to Tough Decisions
            by Bill Wilson
            Well, unfortunately, I have also decided to let my subscription lapse. I've been debating it for the past couple years. It isn't so much the money, but it's more the disappointment when yet another issue has so little in it that really appeals to me. The final straw was this past Fall/Winter edition...
            Today, 09:51 AM
          • planeur
            Reply to My covid angel
            by planeur
            Thanks to all !😀 Your comment are very good and make sense!

My piece is 8"X8" X 1/2" thick.
            I though when I cutted the piece to do it in 1 piece or 4/5 , but after a while I decided to do it in one piece and carved it to have a 3D aspect.
            Was it a good idea.....?...
            Today, 09:45 AM
          • Rolf
            Reply to My covid angel
            by Rolf
            Great designe! I would have gone a bit further than Linda, Scott and Gladefade I would cut it into more pieces to make shaping easier. Taper the clouds from right to left, taper the wings so that they are lower where they attach to the body. Taper the neck so that it looks like it is going into the...
            Today, 09:02 AM
          • Rolf
            Reply to Tough Decisions
            by Rolf
            The never ending dilemma. I only get two magazines SSWWC and Wood carving Illustrated. Even if I don't make something in every issue there is usually something in each one that I have never tried and that will either challenge or inspire me. Yes I know that I do test cutting for them and they have occasionally...
            Today, 08:49 AM
          Working...
          X