Green man and dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green man and dog

I've been playing about with a couple of the Green Man patterns in Lora Irish's book to see if I could adapt them to patterns that could be sawed. Here's the two I did yesterday.

They're 1/4 oak. The veining on the Green dog was done with a spiral blade - as I said elsewhere, my first attempt using spirals --- aargh!

I'm not altogether happy with the pattern adaptations - the mouth in particular on the Green man - and the dog seems to lack something - not sure what!! lol

Any comments/suggestions/constructive criticism would be most welcome.

Ian
    Attached Files
    Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Ian, I think they are both excellent cuttings, full of character that shows thru, they say we are our worst critics...... but I say, ya did good!

Hang in there on the spirals, if your used to flat blades it takes a little getting used to, but I promise keep using them and one day it will just click in to place for you and you'll love them!
    Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Ian they look good the only thing I can add is you said the dog is lacking something, could it be the eyes seem hollow? maybe adding pupils would help?
      Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

Thanks Bill. I was just trying those spirals again on some scrap ply - still find it hard to remember that I can't swivel the workpiece round the back of the blade without it cutting .. And there seems something unnatural about pulling a workpiece towards you to cut it!! But I'll keep trying ...

Daryl: Do you mean like this? See attachment ... the wonders of Photoshop ..lol

Ian
        Attached Files
        Ian

Comment

yep exactly Ian, I had done the same exact thing on one of my patterns left out the pupils and it wasn't until I was finished I realised I left out the pupils, all that was showing were 2 black holes sort of gave it a lifeless look
          Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

What spiral blades are you using?
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Could it be that there's a small but important light anomaly in the pattern design? In order to get nose shadows such as those, you'd need to have the light shining on the face from below and to the front. This would give a different shadow pattern to the eyes.

They're still nice pieces, though .

Gill
              There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
              (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Thanks for that suggestion Gill - it makes sense but I'm not sure how to change that.

Mmm what if i said they weren't shadows but widely flaring nostrils...

Ian
                Ian

Comment

I think the little green man is missing his pot of gold and a case of irish stout.
                  Jeff Powell

Comment

LOL Jeff - what a (lepre)chauny joke ...
                    Ian

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                      Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                      by NC Scroller
                      Only our riend Jim....😂😂😂
                      Today, 06:24 AM
                    • jim_mex
                      Reply to New tools
                      by jim_mex
                      Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                      Yesterday, 11:14 PM
                    • Hobbyhorse
                      Reply to New tools
                      by Hobbyhorse
                      Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                      Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                    • Hobbyhorse
                      Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                      by Hobbyhorse
                      Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                      Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                    • KarlB
                      Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                      by KarlB
                      Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                      Yesterday, 09:41 PM
                    Working...
                    X