Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gaurdian Angels clock and Gingerbread clock.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaurdian Angels clock and Gingerbread clock.

I finished the Angel clock on 9-11-2011. It is made of quarter sawn red oak aspen and walnut. It was designed by Dirk Boelman of The Art Factory. The Gingerbread clock is made of 3/16" walnut harvested from my property and 1/16" maple. The Gingerbread clock is designed by John Nelson, and the dial is by Sue Mey. I have these on Etsy.com under Merleswoodworks. along with some other projects.
    Attached Files
    Merle
    SSG US Army Retired.
    [email protected]
    http://www.etsy.com/your/listings

Nice job Merle. We enjoy seeing the projects that other people complete. It always seems to give us ideas about the types of wood or finishes to use. I like the idea that you use patterns from different artists in one project.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Rose

Comment

Beautiful work! That Aspen actually looks like plastic or corian!
      Thanks for sharing and I hope you get some good prices for your
      workmanship.
      God Bless! Spirithorse

Comment

Wonderful works Merle! Can't decide wich one I like most, they both looks great! Thanks for sharing!
        Frieke
        www.friewoodart.webs.com

Visit Frieke's gallery

Don't let the pain of your past and the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present.

Comment

That is some very beautiful work!
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks all for the comments.
            Merle
            SSG US Army Retired.
            [email protected]

Comment

Excellent work! Man you must have the patience of a rock. I would not be able to do those as I do not have the patience for having so many starts and stops. Thanks for sharing them with us.

DW
              Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
              John Wayne

Comment

Excelent work merle,
                since i began scrolling,ive always wanted too make a clock like this,
                kind of a family heirloom,this pictures are realy inspiring ,
                not doing much
                and busy doing it

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Haggard3230 View Post
                  I finished the Angel clock on 9-11-2011. It is made of quarter sawn red oak aspen and walnut. It was designed by Dirk Boelman of The Art Factory. The Gingerbread clock is made of 3/16" walnut harvested from my property and 1/16" maple. The Gingerbread clock is designed by John Nelson, and the dial is by Sue Mey. I have these on Etsy.com under Merleswoodworks. along with some other projects.
                  If stained do you do it before glueing or after also how do make sure all the small fretwork (Small holes scrolled out) pieces get stained? I did some slays back around Christmas and the only way I could get stain to the inside cuts was to dip the project, but something at this size I don't know how someone would dip it.

Comment

Merle,

Excellent job on the clocks. They look great! I really like your selection of contrasting woods.
                    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Originally posted by jpedersm View Post
                      If stained do you do it before glueing or after also how do make sure all the small fretwork (Small holes scrolled out) pieces get stained? I did some slays back around Christmas and the only way I could get stain to the inside cuts was to dip the project, but something at this size I don't know how someone would dip it.

Staining larger 3 dimensional projects like these clocks is difficult. You can stain the pieces before assembly, but you have to be aware that stain will prevent glue joints from achieving the ultimate bond. On some pieces you may be able to get away with it, but glue failure is a risk I wouldn't want to take with a large clock. You could mask the mating glue surfaces before staining, but this can be very tedious and time consuming for complex assemblies. For these reasons, a lot of folks will use the natural color of the various wood species to provide the desired color and contrast, rather than stain the piece. It's a personal choice.
                      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Hi Merle, great job on the clocks.
                        Mark
                        Proud new owner of an EX-21

WWW.MGMWOODWORKS.COM

Comment

Thanks again everyone, and thank you Bill for explaining the stain situation. I know I didn't mention staining any thing.
                          Merle
                          SSG US Army Retired.
                          [email protected]

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X