Anticipation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anticipation

Just finished cutting Zaffinos "Anticipation" today. It's the most detailed and time consuming piece I've cut thus far. I stack cut four 1/8" BB pieces with a FD-NS #1. I think I'll only cut two next time with a 2/0 due to the detail. It got a little hairy at times and that #1 looked like a Bowie knife. It took 2 hrs. to prep and most of that was because the pattern wasn't square in relation to the straight cuts on the top, bottom and sides. I learned to be mindful of that possibility on future pieces. I think cut time was about 14 hrs. or so and I'm not finished yet. Still got to get the rest of the fuzzies off and sand it a final time, square up the straight cuts on top then oil and frame it. Thinking of pricing it a $100. What ya' think? To much or to cheap?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Capt Weasel; 10-13-2006, 09:19 PM.
    Confuscious says, "The cautious seldom err".
    Confuscious didn't own a scrollsaw either.

Very, very nice job. You have more patience than me. How many entry holes? The detail is explicit. Considering how much time you spent and the final results, $100 would be a bargain, but then it depends on the types of customers in your area. This is another reason I would never cut anything like this, I'd never make even minimum wage for my time.

You did a great job.
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

That is just beautiful. How long did it take you to do that piece? Talk about patience! Nice work

Sarah
      What's that old saying?? A bad day scrolling is still better than the best day working??

Comment

Thanks Minn!
        I never count holes. I did one time on a 400 holer and got intimidated by the number so I quit. I'd also lose count. I'm gonna hang it in a local eatery and slap $100 on it and see what happens. Duck season starts in month so that might help. I think my next cutting will be something a little quicker and easier on the brain, back and eyes.
        Confuscious says, "The cautious seldom err".
        Confuscious didn't own a scrollsaw either.

Comment

Nice job, the is on my to-do list (just got the pattern two days ago).
          Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
          Jean De La Bruyere...

l
          Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Actually, I'd price it at $99.95. This way, it's under $100. You know how some people think. If some gal buys it for her husband, she can tell him it was under $100.
            Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
            www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Nice job on that Capt.!
              As far as the pricing goes, tough to say. For something in a stack of 4 that took me 14 hours, you're right in the same price range as I'd be though I typically cut in stacks of 5 so my price on something like that would be closer to $60 - $65. I average about 50 cuts an hour (including prep and finish time) in portrait type fretwork so that would be something with about 700 cuts for me. As far as counting, I drill in groups of 50 so that I spend about 45 minutes at a time cutting. Makes it easy to keep count of the cuts and gives me a chance to stretch.
              Kevin
              Scrollsaw Patterns Online
              Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                Reply to Having a Betty week UPDATED: See post 13
                by will8989
                Glad to hear that. Slow and steady.
                Yesterday, 09:54 PM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to The new Circular Scroll Saw Designs book form Fox Chapel
                by Linda In Phoenix
                Some of the older books were that way too. It's unfortunate that the printers don't take into account what those pages are for! So sorry to hear of your disappointment. However, I will have to check out that book---I didn't even know there was a circular scroll saw designs book. Share some of...
                Yesterday, 09:12 PM
              • Tom in Ashland
                The new Circular Scroll Saw Designs book form Fox Chapel
                by Tom in Ashland
                Many patters in it I like and I'm sure I will make several BUT Fox Chapel's printing of this book absolutely SUCKS. Most of the patterns are printed so near into the binding that it is impossible to either scan to .PDF or use a copy machine. I will have to cut out each pattern separately or cut off...
                Yesterday, 08:08 PM
              • keystonecop
                Reply to Tough Decisions
                by keystonecop
                Great Question.. I have all the past issues.. I doubt that I find one pattern a year that is worth the subscription cost. I have cut for the magazine and made a few buck that covers my costs,, But I owe that to Bob Duncan.. I think the new admins try but are not involved in this group like bob was.....
                Yesterday, 06:14 PM
              • KarlB
                Reply to Tough Decisions
                by KarlB
                " It rips my heart out when I go to estate sales and see my future."

I am sure you know how important and relevant that comment is Rolf! I have seen a number of scroll sawn projects over the years at garage sales, thrift stores, etc. I know whoever made them put in a lot of...
                Yesterday, 04:02 PM
              Working...
              X