Wood thickness for mini clock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood thickness for mini clock question

I have a pattern for one of those mini clocks that is a part of a circle or half an oval and the mini clock is attached to the upper side. I know that the wood is supposed to b thick enough for the whole clock to fit into but I was wondering what would happen if I made it out of 1/4 inch wood and just let part of the back hang out a little bit or is that too much too hang out? I don't want it to look bad. I just don't have any half inch wood right now. Tell me what you all think please.

I uasaly use the thicer wood,uasaly the same dimension as the rear of the insert,i dont think it would look great having it sticking out too much.
    not doing much
    and busy doing it

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/

Comment

Mini clocks are friction fit. The stock needs to be of sufficient thickness to fully engage the clips, tabs, etc that hold the clock in place and provide a secure fit. Drill the proper size hole in a piece of 1/4" scrap and see what it looks like and if it is secure in the hole. That will determine whether or not you can use 1/4" stock.
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Can you send a picture of the clock patern...if it is an enclosed type (everything boxed in) the friction fit would probably not show the hanging out problem your worried about.......and would be substancially stronger......you could also glue up 2 pieces of wood so the front would be thicker. hope this helps......
        Dave

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts e1. I decided to take the quarter inch thick wood and hold the clock up to it. The back rim which would be inserted does stick out a little bit. So I'm going to use 3/8 maple for it. The pattern is just a half circle or oval maybe with only a deer and a tree and ground in the center. I got it free from Steve Good's site. I really need practice cutting curvy and detailed triangles and squares. I watched some videos on it but I still mess it up a little.
          Thanks again. Nice to see you Bill! You're always helpful.

Comment

the 1/4th wood should work if thats all youve got, but they do look better in wood a little bit thicker. I prefer 1/2"
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I've used everything from 3/16" to 3/4" stock for miniclocks. I prefer using 3/8" or thicker but don't mind using thinner stock for a clock that will be sitting on a dresser or table with a wall behind it to hide the back of the clock.

george
              A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
              George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

I've got a clock almost ready and I made it out of 1/4" and I think when I drill it just a little deeper a clock will fit, I drilled the hole and put a clock in it and it just like a tad fitting perfect. I have the little hole left from the drill bit but I plan on using a backer so it wont hurt if I drill the entire hole all the way through.

Comment

I use 3/4" almost exclusively for all my mini desk clocks adding highlighted 1/4" thick overlays on top of that. Much easier than resawing or putting it through the planner and more econical than buying 1/2" think stock.
                  Mike

Mike Fehring's Artistry in Wood
                  http://www.mikefehring.com
                  Mike Fehring's Free Patterns

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X