Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewelry Box

my latest creation

my only regret is not researching how to finish the padauk better. I've always had good result with clear gloss poly before, but then I haven't worked in an oily wood like the padauk before either. the maple areas are fully cured 24 hrs after I applied it, but I'm still waiting for the rest of it to setup so i can flip it over and do bottoms and then flock the inside. having a heat lamp on it seems to be helping though so hopefully I won't have to strip off the poly and start all over again. i'd be done by now if I went with lacquer.
    ~Nick

I had a similar problem w/ the paduk one time. Can't recall how I finally finished the project. But, I do recall it looking pretty fine when it was done.

This is a nice looking project. She is going to be more than a little pleased when you deliver it.

John
    I've Got A Lot More To Learn
    About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
    "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Looking good. I am sure you will work out the issues with the finish and she will really love that jewelry box. Thanks for sharing it with us.
      Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
      John Wayne

Comment

Nick, padauk and poly are a tricky combination. I stopped using poly quite a while ago, and stick to shellac and lacquer, both sprayed, since my projects are small.

I also have a small box that was a prototype that I finished with Danish oil, and the padauk developed a white mildew type crud, which I've never seen before or since. I'm not sure exactly why padauk is so tricky, but I'm content with playing it safe.

And if you do have to remove the poly, if you do it carefully it should all work out OK.
        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

That box is very sharp looking, sorry for the clear coat troubles.Jerry
          Don't worry be scrolling

Comment

Very very pretty. Excellent job.

Comment

thanks guys. just to update, the heat lamp and some extra curing time did the trick and the finish finally hardened up so luckily I don't have to strip it and redo it. gonna flock it tomorrow and then it's all done.
              ~Nick

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• millwab
                Reply to elementary questions
                by millwab
                Dan, your questions are a little tough to answer without knowing a little more about this puzzle you're cutting. That said, here are my thoughts:
                • First of all, it would be helpful to know the overall size of this puzzle and how many pieces you're thinking of cutting it into. 1/2" BB is pretty
                Yesterday, 07:09 PM
              • dwssr2
                elementary questions
                by dwssr2
                So I am making a puzzel for a co worker, not real intricagte, I am using 1/2 baltic birch, I almost always use fdur blades. My questions are what size blade sholuld I use, considering finish, and what size entry hole should I drill?
                Next question is how to finish? When painting puzzles, different...
                Yesterday, 11:49 AM
              • Sandy Oaks
                Reply to ArtCrafters - Pegas Scroll Saw Blades
                by Sandy Oaks
                Thanks Linda. I got the email and sent you a reply. I hope I answered the questions....
                Yesterday, 11:33 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to ArtCrafters - Pegas Scroll Saw Blades
                by Linda In Phoenix
                Hey Denny---I shot you an email with a few questions. I might just have to dip my toe into the world of Pegas blades vs FD. At least to try! Open minded explorations. Thank you ! Linda
                Yesterday, 10:29 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to Having a Betty week
                by Linda In Phoenix
                Be careful---soon she will be able to outrun you! Remember when fridges lasted for decades?! Glad she's doing well.
                Yesterday, 10:12 AM
              Working...
              X