Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewelry Box

my latest creation

my only regret is not researching how to finish the padauk better. I've always had good result with clear gloss poly before, but then I haven't worked in an oily wood like the padauk before either. the maple areas are fully cured 24 hrs after I applied it, but I'm still waiting for the rest of it to setup so i can flip it over and do bottoms and then flock the inside. having a heat lamp on it seems to be helping though so hopefully I won't have to strip off the poly and start all over again. i'd be done by now if I went with lacquer.
    ~Nick

I had a similar problem w/ the paduk one time. Can't recall how I finally finished the project. But, I do recall it looking pretty fine when it was done.

This is a nice looking project. She is going to be more than a little pleased when you deliver it.

John
    I've Got A Lot More To Learn
    About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
    "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Looking good. I am sure you will work out the issues with the finish and she will really love that jewelry box. Thanks for sharing it with us.
      Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
      John Wayne

Comment

Nick, padauk and poly are a tricky combination. I stopped using poly quite a while ago, and stick to shellac and lacquer, both sprayed, since my projects are small.

I also have a small box that was a prototype that I finished with Danish oil, and the padauk developed a white mildew type crud, which I've never seen before or since. I'm not sure exactly why padauk is so tricky, but I'm content with playing it safe.

And if you do have to remove the poly, if you do it carefully it should all work out OK.
        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

That box is very sharp looking, sorry for the clear coat troubles.Jerry
          Don't worry be scrolling

Comment

Very very pretty. Excellent job.

Comment

thanks guys. just to update, the heat lamp and some extra curing time did the trick and the finish finally hardened up so luckily I don't have to strip it and redo it. gonna flock it tomorrow and then it's all done.
              ~Nick

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                by Linda In Phoenix
                I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                Yesterday, 10:01 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                by will8989
                Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                Yesterday, 09:53 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                by will8989
                Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                Yesterday, 09:49 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                by will8989
                He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                Yesterday, 09:32 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Sundays market
                by will8989
                We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                Yesterday, 08:56 PM
              Working...
              X