Portrait question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portrait question

What is the best material and method of application for portrait backs, I have used black felt on previous portraits but they seem to bubble up a little.
    I usually use hot glue to attach the felt, but am wondering if a spray glue us better? I just bought Ileene's spray glue today with some felt, just wanted to get some ideas before I start applying the felt, since I have alot of time invested in making the frames also I just didn't want to chance ruining the portraits.
    Any suggestions or ideas will be well appreciated.

Shirley

I pretty much only use the "stiff" felt. Much easier to cut to the portrait size, doesn't bubble up, and is a bit thinner, not as "puffy" as regular felt. It is a bit costlier, but well worth it to me. I get mine at Hobby Lobby, or Joann Fabrics when there is a sale.

Paul
    www.flicker.com/photos/woodworks44224

Comment

I use mat board that I get at a art shop. Make sure is is lead free.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I use a painted 1/8" veneered mdf. I use Tite Bond molding & trim glue on the back of the portrait and then lay it onto the mdf and add a little weight on top or clamp it with spring clamps and let dry overnight. It dries clear and has a fast tack and set time. You probably would not need to let it dry over night but that is just me. I then just trim the edges at an angle with the scroll saw. It really makes a delicate cutting more solid and stable. Steve
        If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
        My Gallery
        [email protected]

Comment

Regardless as to the type of backer, I use Ailene's Tacky Glue.
          It sets up fast and dries clear. Just my personal preference
          and 2 cents worth.
          Jack

Comment

I've never done any of the large, detailed portraits, but am hoping to give it a shot someday soon. One question I have is, how do you portrait makers apply the glue to the back of the piece to attach the backer? I would think you would want to have pretty uniform and complete glue coverage on those really detailed and fragile portraits, but applying & spreading glue over such a large area can be pretty time consuming, so by the time you get it all covered, some of it is already setting up, no?

I was wondering about appling the glue with a hard rubber roller, something like a J roller for installing laminate, but didn't know how hard it would be to keep excess glue from migrating into the open frets. I thought about spray adhesive, but again, how to prevent getting it in the frets? How do you folks go about it?
            Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I use felt on about 95% of my projects. I use a glue stick on all my projects that I have felt. I rub the glue on the back of the project, not the felt, and then I keep smoothing/stretching the felt for about 5 minutes. I then take books or a 5 lbs weight and place it on the back of the project where I have applied the felt and leave it for 24 hours. The one thing to be careful of is to not push too hard on the glue stick because it will "smoosh" out and go beyond the cut wood/frets. I have not had a problem with the felt bubbling or coming off the wood. I can get 3 sticks of glue for a $1 at the dollar store. I hope this helps.
              Mark
              Proud new owner of an EX-21

WWW.MGMWOODWORKS.COM

Comment

I use either 1/8" or 1/4" plywood sprayed black. Because I use glass in all of my frames I normally do not glue my backer to the cutting.
                Mike

Mike Fehring's Artistry in Wood
                http://www.mikefehring.com
                Mike Fehring's Free Patterns

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I went with the Illenes spray glue and a soft felt, seems to be working ok,,
                  here is the first picture,, I also made the frame.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
                    Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                    by Jim Finn
                    The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                    Today, 04:48 PM
                  • MidMich324
                    Reply to Plastic puzzle
                    by MidMich324
                    Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                    Today, 03:57 PM
                  • RJweb
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by RJweb
                    As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                    Today, 03:42 PM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Farmers market "survey"
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                    I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                    For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                    Today, 11:14 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Farmers market
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                    Today, 11:00 AM
                  Working...
                  X