Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sing to the Lord plaque

I cut this today for my music minister.
    I've decided to stack cut these by 3's with all but the name. That way I just have to add the name whenever someone requests one or I want to make one for a gift.
    This is cut from laminated flooring. !/4 inch plywood would have been a better choice. I used 5 blades on this project. I'm beginning to wonder if the superior strength of the laminated wood is worth the cost in blades. But, I do love the fact that I can cut some very intricate details in laminated flooring and have never had any breakage...never!
    Any comments or suggestions are always welcome. (I already know how Mike feels about me using this flooring...LOL).
    Attached Files
    "Live as though Christ died yesterday, arose this morning, and is coming back tomorrow."

I forgot to mention that the music notes are actually the notes from the song, "Yes, Jesus loves me."
    "Live as though Christ died yesterday, arose this morning, and is coming back tomorrow."

Comment

Looks great Bubba, I like the idea to use lamiated flooring...
      Frieke
      www.friewoodart.webs.com

Visit Frieke's gallery

Don't let the pain of your past and the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present.

Comment

Beautiful job Bubba. Definitely worth the cost of the blades. A Lumber Liquidators just opened near me and I would love to pick up some of their more exotic flooring samples and try to cut them. A couple of questions... 1) How thick is the flooring that you used so that you could stack cut three? The stuff I have seen is always at least 3/8" thick and that would make for a very thick stack needing a very large blade. 2) What blades did you use? 3) How big is the piece? 4) What type of flooring was it?
        Thanks.

george
        A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
        George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Thanks Frieke, I like it, too, despite the sacrifice of blades.

George, this particular piece is about 5/16 inch thick, 6 1/2 X 9. The flooring itself is tongue and groove and is 7 1/2 inches wide. Minus the tongue and groove you only have about 7 inches of work space as far as the width. It came in 4 foot lengths so I just cut off what I need. We have a "Restore" here, which is a store that takes in items from old Habitat for Humanity homes and re-sells them. The flooring is what was left over by contractors or was simply donated. I buy stacks of it containing about 10 pieces at a cost of about $15.00. Very worth the price.
          As for stack cutting, I avoid it because of the extreme hardness of the backing on the flooring. Cutting one piece is taxing enough on blades. I can only imagine what stack cutting would be like. It could be done but at a dear cost.
          I use no. 5 platinum blades from Seyco. They seem to have the longest life of any blades I've tried so far. They hold up really well when cutting this flooring but I still go through an average of 3 - 5 blades on projects like this one. You can "push" the limit of the blade but the back begins to tear out. I like my blades nice and sharp. I don't mind sacrificing a few extra blades for intricate projects.
          One other caution that I didn't mention before. The dust from laminated flooring is very hard on your nose and throat. I'm sure it's because of the chemicals they use in the flooring. Be careful not to breathe it in.

Good luck!

Comment

Excellent job.

Comment

Another very nice music themed piece, whats with all the talent round here? hehe, my head is spinning with ideas. well done.
              The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                Reply to Big week here
                by jim_mex
                Hi Jim - A nice story regarding your son biting the bullet. Congrats to all!

Re your upcoming retirement. I wasn't really looking forward to mine but to be honest, apart from being home based due to this darn virus, I've gotten accustomed to getting up in the morning and deciding what I...
                Today, 03:32 PM
              • Quartz43
                Reply to New tools
                by Quartz43
                You have found out about retirement. Busy, busy and busy. And you need more tools!
                Today, 03:29 PM
              • wjbclocks1
                Reply to Big week here
                by wjbclocks1
                Enjoy life, Congrat....
                Today, 01:30 PM
              • Jim McDonald
                Reply to New tools
                by Jim McDonald
                Good luck getting ANY of that garden space!
                Today, 01:24 PM
              • Jim McDonald
                Big week here
                by Jim McDonald
                Well friends quite a week here on the prairie.
                Long back story, but our son was adamant we get a fast response COVID test last Saturday, so we could attend an outdoor gathering of his girlfrigirlfriend's family. About an hour into the ATV and dirt bike riding, he got off the 4-wheeler and dropped...
                Today, 01:20 PM
              Working...
              X