Portrait of Don & Ma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portrait of Don & Ma

My adoptive Mom's, (She's my best friend of 27 years' mother. She's become a second Mother to me), B-day is coming up. I had this picture of her and her husband Don. Don's the great friend who has recently passed. I was going to make a cute little frame for a picture of a dog we lost about a year and a half ago, but changed my mind.
    I'm expecting a tear and a hug....
    Mom&Don x02.jpg DSCF1053.jpg

I still might do the frame with the pooch's picture...It was a great photo...
    ..We'll see...I've got a lot of Christmas stuff left to do...<shiver>
    Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
    No task is too tedious for Art.
    Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
    Featherwood Woodcrafts

Great job Jim. I know that was a big hit.
    David
    My grandbabies are what keep me going

Comment

Nice job on that pattern Jim, it captured their likeness. Did you make the pattern also?
      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Jim,I'm glad you were able to do this one , I'm sure she well love it.

Comment

Thanks guys..
          WD, Yup. This is the first time I've taken a photo and made it into a pattern, and then cut it.
          Now I just have to wait until the 18th or 19th to give it to her. Her actual B-day is the 21st, but we're doing it the weekend before. I'm a little excited about it....
          Jim

Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
          Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Wow, he's branching out to pattern making now.......as JohnB would say "good on ya".
            Well done.
            Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

I thought I'd throw in some thoughts about Don...

They used to call him the, "Sunshine Superman"...
              He was the first human to get on a Kite behind a speedboat...
              They called him the astronaut without a suit...
              He was on the ,"Ed Sullivan Show" 3 times.....
              Twice on, "The Tonight Show", ( with a few cameos that didn't include him as a guest), and a few times on the Michael Douglas Show.
              I've seen many pictures of him with Miss America on his arm, and on his shoulder's as he skied...
              The most horrible of all is that he advertised for the american Cancer society, and also did edorcements for Camel cigarettes. He never smoked until he did the Camel commercials....
              that's what got him in the end...

Besides that, the man was a hero in my life.
              Despite having arthritis in his hips and shoulder, and having beat cancer once, (16 years ago), He never stop improving his amazing Garden...

He taught me something about perseverance. I learned that there is nothing that can't be done if you're there, doing it every day. My art has flourished because of it.

After all these years, I never knew who I'd been shoulder to shoulder with. He was an amazing guy. Kind of a walking Farmer's Almanac. He could make a stick into a tree....
              and at the same time, he was a super star...I never knew

There is no way to tell you how sad it was to let him go...........

But Tourette's be ****ed, I'm going to follow in his footsteps and make my mark on the world. I WILL fight through it all and beauty is my offering...............

Thanks Don........
              Jim

Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
              Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

I thought you might like to see the Garden he's made...
                It used to be all tar...
                DSCF0430.jpg DSCF0445.jpg DSCF0436.jpg DSCF0439.jpg

this is where is Japanese Garden is meant to be...
                DSCF0440.jpgDSCF0441.jpg
                We will finish that......

And this is where we spent countless hours building things...
                DSCF0446.jpg

His passing has left a tremendous effect on me...
                Less will be undone...
                ...And I guess I've got to learn a bit about horticulture

Not to mention what he' taught me about living on the edge...
                Jim

Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

We should all be so fortunate to have known such an incredible, inspiring person, and to have such wonderful memories to live in our hearts, to soften the sadness of loss.
                  Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Dear Jim,
                    It's so good to see you making a pattern, making a beautiful portrait and most important, you go on with your life... Don will be so proud on you !
                    I'm sure your mom will treasure this portrait forever!
                    Thanks for telling your story and you know...we're here for ya!
                    Big hug...
                    Frieke
                    www.friewoodart.webs.com

Visit Frieke's gallery

Don't let the pain of your past and the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present.

Comment

Beautiful piece of Art, Jim. You did a real nice job, both with the pattern & cutting. Sounds like he was one special man. Your Mom will love it & when you give it to her, look out for the tears. I did one for my Sister in Law of her & my Brother, after his passing in June of this year. The tears flowed. So, be prepared. Thanks for showing us.
                      PERK

Comment

Jim, nice job on the portrait. I'm kinda struggling with a "special" portrait at the moment, well really I have put it down, but you've prodded me to get back on it.
                        Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Comment

Very nice of you and I'm sure that she will cherish it ............looks fine ........MB
                          Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

nice work jim,its always nice when you make somthing from your own pattern,not that i,d know myself...lol
                            well done mate,
                            MAYO,DONT FEEL BAD,WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE
                            not doing much
                            and busy doing it

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tony coleman View Post
                              MAYO,DONT FEEL BAD,WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE
                              Thanks Tony - I will get back on it.
                              Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                                Pegas Large Scrollsaw Table
                                by cwmagee
                                A couple of months ago I ordered the Large Pegas Scroll Saw Table for my EX21 from Denny which I received about a week later. I installed it immediately and made a few test cuts. Since then I have been busy with several Urban renewal projects around house as well putting the yard to bed for the winter....
                                Yesterday, 07:28 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                                That is...
                                Yesterday, 08:15 AM
                              • Jimern
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jimern
                                The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                                Yesterday, 06:29 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                10-20-2020, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                10-20-2020, 10:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X