X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signed Sealed & Delivered

Hi all,

Well it's finished!

Sealed with about 8 coats of Exterior acrylic Varathane with UV inhibitors, and 2 coats of wax on top for good measure.

I delivered the Horse address sign to my client today and her and her hubby were very happy with the product & thought the price fair ($250.00), actually they told my wife and I they believe they got a good deal.

Her husband said he'd build a horizontal post attached to 2 vertical posts with a small roof overhead (with an incorporated light), to somewhat protect it from the elements.

He does a little woodwork himself, so he'll take good care of it.

(He's the one in the picture.)

They told me that I should expect a couple of more orders from people around their place. I told her I'd get her some cards in the near future (once I print them)

I'm glad it's done, but I'm also sad it's gone. I'm proud of the job I did on that commission, and it does look nice.

Oh well, ...NEXT!

Regards,
    Marcel
    Attached Files
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Way to go Marcel.

But now you have to give up amateur status J/K

That is an awesome job and yes they got a good buy!
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Thanks Carl,

Coming from you it means a lot to me.

When you referred to me as an artisan in the past I didn't know your background, now that I do it has touched me deeper than you may imagine.

Thank-you my friend for your encouragement.

Humbly,
      Marcel

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Marcel, that is awesome. I think you certainly earned the money and the brag rights on that project. Way to go. We're all proud to know you. By the way, what kind of wood is it?
        Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
        www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Marcel I am proud to have you as a scrolling friend you are awsome keep up the great wood working
          Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

You're rightfully proud of that baby, Marcel.
            I hope you don't tire of the concept before the orders dry up.
            I can imagine you'll have to get some sort of accounting system set up to keep those orders in chronological order, and you'll be working into the nights...
            Or maybe not!
            A fine piece of workmanship indeed. I'm relieved to hear that your client plans to take proper steps to preserve it.
            Sandy

Comment

Hi Marcel

Expect a tranche of law suits against you as motorists passing the sign get distracted by it and crash their vehicles!

Gill
              There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
              (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Refreshingly different from the traditional silhouettes. A beautiful piece of work.

Marcel, I hope you took photos for advertising purposes, because you have a marketable item there. Doing portraits of the patrons' animals would add even more value, something to consider.

Pete

Comment

Terrific looking piece of work Marcel!!! I'm sure that'll be treasured for a long time to come.
                  Kevin
                  Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                  Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Thats one gorgeous piece of work there Marcel
                    outstanding job
                    Charlie
                    "Everything Happens for a Reason"
                    Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

That is a fine piece of work. (by the time I log on all the awsomes are gone)It is a very classy looking sign. Please send another picture when it is properly hung. What saw did you cut that on? What was the wood?
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thank-you all,

It feels really good to get such positive feedback from your peers.

The wood is nothing more than 1/4" BB (vacuum pressed) glued to a 3/4" external grade Plywood using TiteBond 3 glue.

I initially used my DW788 & spiral blades, but redid the cuts with a fine tooth blade on a jigsaw.

I finish sanded to 320 grit using a random orbit sander and rubber contours.

The BB was dyed with Saman Golden wheat mixed with Saman White to lighten it, the Ply was dyed black also with Saman stain. The black face of the ply under the BB was also sprayed with a special light reflective paint

I used black acrylic on the sides to hide the wood filler I used on the plywood voids, and gold, red & green acrylic for the pinstripe.

I then applied about 8 coats of sprayed flat Varathane Exterior acrylic Urethane, last coat rubbed with a white (super fine) synthetic pad & 2 coats minwax wax.

The shape of the sign was cut on the bandsaw and rounded with a Rigid Oscillating spindle sander.

The edge was routed with an "O'Gee" router bit on my (home made) router table and Skil 1825 router.

Thanks for your interest,
                        Marcel

PS, Gill: They are located on an out-of-the-way country road, I'm not worried about traffic. and going over 20kph could be considered hazardous as the road is barely wide enough for 2 oncoming vehicles.

Comment

Marcel,

You REALLY stepped up and delivered a QUALITY piece!!!

EXCELLENT JOB, and I mean that sincerely. VERY WELL DONE!!!!!
                          ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Marcel

Great work! Hope you get many more sales like that! Once you get a sale they don't stop so be prepare!

Eric

Comment

That is a very nice piece you did there. I hope you can keep up with the demand now.

From the picture it looks like the edge of the sign is black. Did you wrap it with banding? Or is it just painted to look like it? From what I could tell it looks like it could be darker wood strips glued around the edge of what is already a gorgeous piece of wood.

Oh, wait. I just finished reading the rest of the thread and you answered my question already. That is an interesting way of finishing the edges. I think it adds some class to the piece.
                              Last edited by Jim8Mad; 09-25-2006, 05:53 PM.
                              Jim
                              DeWalt DW788 & Dremel 1680

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to Home remodeling update - 28 August
                                by jim_mex
                                24 Oct - Home 'make-over completed!!!

Hi again all – time flies when you are busy and Norma and I have certainly been that the past couple of months since we embarked on our home 'total make-over' project but the good news is the work is now complete and we spent the past week moving back
                                Today, 12:39 PM
                              • scrollerpete
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by scrollerpete
                                You did a fantastic job Denny, I’m sure you will have an happy customer...
                                Today, 12:33 PM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                This is a custom order request. The pattern is by Harvey Byler purchased from WoodCraftByScott.com. I enlarged the pattern by 10%. Cut at home on the EX21 using FD UR #5 blades. The wood is Poplar approximately 7" x 9". Sanded with the Sand Flee and dipped in Shellac diluted 50% with...
                                Today, 10:43 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                Quartz. What are you not certain of?
                                I needed to make a couple of custom sized Octagonal replacement windows, I wanted the most precision. I don't remember where I bought it. If I had seen the bi-directional Incra 1000 I probably would have bought it instead. With the 2000 you have to choose...
                                Today, 09:08 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by Rolf
                                Love every bit of it! The lighting really makes it pop. Would you mind sharing the source for the lights that you used?...
                                Today, 08:55 AM
                              Working...
                              X