Brazilian Cherry(Finished Gift Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazilian Cherry(Finished Gift Pics)

In my earlier thread, I inquired about fast or slow cutting on some 7/8" Brazilian cherry. I received a few replies from folks more familiar with the wood than I was and I took them all to heart as I tried this project.

I made a few test cuts with a #7, but could not get the "feel" for this blade like I have for my all time favorite--Flying Dutchman #5UR. So, I went with the #5, knowing the cutting would be slow. (It is very similar to a rock Janette--granite!)

Normally on 3/4" oak, I can get 15 to 20 minutes of hard cutting from a #5UR before I feel the need to think to changing blades==but with this stuff, after about 5 minutes, I noticed a sharp decline in cutting ability and it rarely went more than 7 before I thought I was smelling smoke. (Luckily, I only got one very minor burn and it is where only I know)

This is to be a speakers gift November 9 at a university lectureship for a old friend of the family. (He and my wife were on faculty together, prior to his retirement).

The pattern was a simple resize of the university logo. The finished piece is roughly 8"X8" plus base-which is 1".

I have one more piece of the wood taped and ready to go to cut one for my wife's office--and the pattern is not that tough--but I am retiring from Brazilian cherry in that thickness.

As always, your criticisms will be read and learned from.
    Attached Files
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

It looks great to me!

I've got and cut Brazilian cherry, but not that thick. That would be quite a challenge! (I've got some Brazilian cherry wood flooring which I plane down to 3/8 to 1/4.)

Karl
    Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

That is beautiful - it should be a big hit!
      DeWalt 788

Comment

Nice Job Jim. How many blades did it take?
        Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Looks really nice, Jim. It was worth the work, time, and blades!
          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

That is a very nice design it is a beautiful piece of wood.
            Who is the designer?
            I have lots of the Brazilian walnut (flooring) and I cut that fairly well with the Olson PGT blades.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

badger--
              Not exactly sure, but the bottom of the bucket was littered with blades--best estimate 10-15. But, I think I was being very conservative on blade life and switching a bit early to prevent problems.

Rolf--
              The back story is that the Ball Brothers (Ball/Mason jars) endowed the university that bears their name and in honor of that, the university erected a statue in what used to be the center of the campus and the logo was designed from that statue--probably by one of the graphic artists some years ago.
              I always thought it would be a cool project to cut, but never really took the time to do it until the need arose. As I said, I will do one more in B. Cherry for my wife and I have a couple of close friends who may get walnut versions when they retire.
              Jim
              When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
              Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Hi Jim - definitely a case of no pain no gain my friend!
                You've turned out a really classy look gift which is sure to be a winner.
                Me? I would have just about managed to cut the base!

Well done!
                Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                - Albert Einstein

Comment

Really nice cutting and finish. Well done!
                  Mike C.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                    Reply to Planer and jointer opinions wanted
                    by will8989
                    Our super max has been making a noise that sounds like paper caught but we can’t pinpoint anything. Cleaned what we could, Bruce used dry lubricant, which sounds like an oxymoron to me, and still makes the noise. Started quietly now is louder. Any suggestions before we call for warranty work? I’m...
                    Today, 01:57 PM
                  • Don in Brooklin On
                    Virtual Wood Show
                    by Don in Brooklin On
                    Due to Covid-19 all events in Ontario have been cancelled including the Wood Show in Toronto. It was a great event but this year it is going to go virtual.

They will have a number of seminars and the ability to tour vendor sites. Not sure how it all works. It will be FREE but you can pay...
                    Today, 12:56 PM
                  • cwmagee
                    Reply to Winter issue
                    by cwmagee
                    Got mine yesterday. Regarding Christmas Items I seem to recall a few years ago that they moved up the Holiday related items to the Fall Issue to give us more time to make.

It was great to see all of the variety of designs and contributors available...
                    Today, 12:09 PM
                  • Jim McDonald
                    Reply to Winter issue
                    by Jim McDonald
                    Got mine yesterday and I was a bit disappointed by the lack of Christmas in the issue. Like Rolf, I loved the winter issue for the ornaments.
                    And Carole's bowl is quite interesting.
                    Today, 11:26 AM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Conversation with grandson
                    by will8989
                    Scott, you can’t make this stuff up. Just wish I was closer to my 4 in Texas. One day I’ll write an article about my son quitting his job 5 weeks ago. He’s been doing a lot with mushrooms, the legal ones, and is on Utube and is now getting paid more than he was working by Adsense and his eBay...
                    Today, 10:24 AM
                  Working...
                  X