oak cook spoon/oven pull combination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oak cook spoon/oven pull combination

I've been making these wooden spoons out of 1/4 inch oak but decided to try a set out of 1/2 inch to see if they could be used as a combination spoon and oven pull.
    It worked!! I had to do a bit of sanding on the handle to make them a bit lighter but not enough as to weaken them. The decorative spirals on the one with the hole in the middle and the indentations on the other was just me experimenting with finger grips. Both work great.

Also, these are real simple to make and make great Christmas gifts.
    By the way...the notch in the spoons was originally intended to hang on the edge of your pan so the drippings fall back into the pan instead of getting all over your counter. Doubling as an oven rack pull is just a bonus. I finish these with mineral oil.

Any comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Bubba
    Attached Files
    "Live as though Christ died yesterday, arose this morning, and is coming back tomorrow."

Great job, now that is thinking outside the pot.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Bubbantenn, Nice, I like the notch for hanging the spoon on the pan.How long are they? Is this your pattern? Lance

Comment

Originally posted by fireglass View Post
        Bubbantenn, Nice, I like the notch for hanging the spoon on the pan.How long are they? Is this your pattern? Lance
        The spoons are about 9 inches long and 2 inches wide. Usually made from 1/4 inch material but these are 1/2 inch. 1/4 inch is good if they are to be spoons only but 1/2 inch is necessary if they are to be used as pulls. These are my patterns, yes, but this is not a new idea. I was inspired by some spoons I saw in a magazine to try the notch idea. It just worked out and balances just right so that the extra "whatever" drips back into the pot. Took a bit of experimenting, though.

Bubba
        "Live as though Christ died yesterday, arose this morning, and is coming back tomorrow."

Comment

Oh now those are sweeeeeet, and handy. Nice job Bubba.
          Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Very nice work Bubba. Good idea as well.
            Dennis

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by Rolf
              Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
              That is...
              Today, 08:15 AM
            • Jimern
              Reply to Farmers market "survey"
              by Jimern
              The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
              Today, 06:29 AM
            • will8989
              Reply to Farmers market "survey"
              by will8989
              The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
              Yesterday, 11:10 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Farmers market
              by will8989
              Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
              Yesterday, 10:31 PM
            • tgiro01
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by tgiro01
              Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
              Yesterday, 09:38 PM
            Working...
            X