Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd cutting of wedding portrait; finally happy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd cutting of wedding portrait; finally happy!

I previously posted a wedding portrait in the thread below:
    http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/wor...cess/38467.htm

I then followed the advice of others (not on this board) by dipping this into lemon oil and it in my opinion ruined it. The portrait surface and in particular the edges turned very dark and splotchy looking and several months later it is still not totally dry. I was determined to do better and attempt this piece again, even though this took a long time to drill and cut the first time around.

So, this time I used 1/2" solid maple. The cutting was slightly better this time around, but I was still pleased with the previous cutting. I finished it this time with Deft satin spray in combination with 400 grit sanding with some soft flexible disks/pads in about 3-4 coats and sandings. The portrait surface is mirror smooth.

I mounted the maple portrait to a walnut veneered piece of BB with a combination of wood glue and CA glue. I milled some solid walnut on my router table for the frame pieces to match the contrasting walnut background. I also rabbited the border of the maple portrait so the piece itself when framed wouldn't be so thick. The portrait wasn't totally square and isn't a perfect fit into the frame, but at this point, that is very minor in my eyes and I'm ready to move on to other projects.

I'm glad this one is finally done. I guess I'll go to Michael's and pickup some framing hardware so I can hang this portrait.
    Attached Files
    ---Joel; Central MD...rookie empter nester and getting back into woodworking!

that really looks great. You did a super job.
    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
    Desert Woodcrafters
    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Nice job Joel. I'd give that Lemon Oil away to someone I wasn't too keen on.

Good Luck
      Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Comment

I finally went back to danish oil. I too do not like the lemon oil it never cures. You did a splendid job, and your frame is nicely done.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Joel, very nice.
          Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

What I see, is excellent workmanship... great design... and a Great looking piece...!!!!!
            Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
            No task is too tedious for Art.
            Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
            Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Looks terrific!
              Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                by Linda In Phoenix
                It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                Today, 06:47 PM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                by Linda In Phoenix
                Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                Today, 06:38 PM
              • Jim Finn
                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                by Jim Finn
                The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                Today, 04:48 PM
              • MidMich324
                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                by MidMich324
                Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                Today, 03:57 PM
              • RJweb
                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                by RJweb
                As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                Today, 03:42 PM
              Working...
              X