R.i.p.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.i.p.

My first doggie tombstone. A lady was looking at my portraits and was wondering how something like that would work for a tombstone. I told her that BB ply wouldn't last too long outdoors. I decided to go with cedar. She liked the idea of the corian but agreed it was just too high priced. This was cut out of 3/4" cedar with black plexiglass glued and screwed to the back. I drilled all the holes with a hand held rotary tool. I also handheld the wood while drilling the holes. I would have used the drill press but the shaft is bent on the pin chuck so the bit wobbles real bad. It's easy to rebend except it's hard to know which way to bend it. I used 3 blades for this project. I started with an Olson #5 reverse and when that snapped I went with another of the same. When that got dull I finished with #3 skip tooth Pegas. I didn't keep track of my time, but it took long enough. Just sanding down one side of the cedar was time consuming enough.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 09-17-2006, 06:37 PM.
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Looks good Mike. Nice job using cedar with the plexy backer. Was the pattern your own from a peachie portrait?
    ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Actually Barry, I got the pattern off one of the free sites. I requested a pattern for a westiepoo some time ago and this is what someone found for me. The lady who ordered the tombstone saw my sample of the westiepoo and said it looked just like her dog, a poodle. That saved me from having to search for another pattern. Anytime I can find a free pattern, I'm going to take it. Designing is time consuming and I'd rather be scrolling.
      Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 09-17-2006, 06:38 PM.
      Mike

Comment

Very well done Mike! Scrolling..... the possibilities are endless!
        Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Very nice handling of a definately off-the-wall request . The lettering is sharp and the pooch is cut nice and clean. Man, that's a bunch of holes ! Very clever with the cedar and the plexi ,,,,,I may just steal that idea for a sign a friend wants for their lake house ( with your permision of course ) What did you use for a final finish ?
          Good job man !
          ...~Robert~
          DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Robert, stealing is against the law. If I told you how I finished it, I'd have to kill you. Actually, you can have the idea, free of charge. I did not finish it. As far as I'm concerned, once it was cut and assembled, it was finished. I used to make bird houses and feeders out of cedar and never once finished them. Cedar weathers very nice and will gray a little over time.

Thanks y'all.
            Mike

Comment

Mike,
              A little trick I have done (and do with most of my drilling) Turn the drill press chuck by hand until it looks like it is looks straight then lower it to where you want the hole. Press the bit into the wood a touch and then turn on the drill press and drill the hole. That is one of the reason I have a foot switch on my drill press. I don't have to much wobble on the end but even a little seems like a lot when you are trying to hit a hole the size of a pin point.
              Good luck
              Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
              Jean De La Bruyere...

l
              Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

very nice Mike, good choice on the cedar it should last for many years
                Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

Very nice Mike,

Congrats,
                  Marcel
                  http://marleb.com
                  DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Very nice! I like your choice of surface.
                    Theresa
                    Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

You can fill the holes with black epoxy. That should last a long time!

Dave Van Ess

Comment

Nicely done!
                        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• dottyblues
                          Reply to Pattern Vault
                          by dottyblues
                          Thank you everyone especially KarlB for finding the pattern.
                          Today, 12:20 AM
                        • Linda In Phoenix
                          I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by Linda In Phoenix
                          So after much debating, I bought a Sawstop table saw--the 36" contractor version, and now have a roll-your-eyes story too.
                          I got a few discounts from my favorite hardwood store for buying from them. Yay!
                          In a small shop I couldn't live without the mobile base.
                          I also added the...
                          Yesterday, 10:49 PM
                        • will8989
                          Supermax
                          by will8989
                          Bruce and the tech from Laguna finally caught up with each other after almost 2 weeks of phone tag. Bruce ran the sander for the tech and after checking a few things, it was determined it’s the bushing, probably. They are going to send a bushing for Bruce to replace it. If he has a problem replacing...
                          Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Help help
                          by will8989
                          Bruce lets it soak in on the cardholders, takes 24 hrs. I let everything drip for a few minutes then wipe excess off. 50/50 takes longer to dry than 40/60. I usually move everything upstairs and turn the ceiling fan on to to help it soak in. This finish takes 3-4 days to dry enough to take to shows....
                          Yesterday, 10:11 PM
                        • KarlB
                          Reply to Pattern Vault
                          by KarlB
                          Here are the ones I made 9 years ago:

Karl...
                          Yesterday, 10:05 PM
                        Working...
                        X