About time I posted some work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About time I posted some work

Couldn't really decide where to put these.

1) A neighbour wanted a keyholder in this design - its all Mahogany.

2) The motto is Mahogany on cherry. Anyone know the motto?
    Attached Files
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hi Mayo - being a Brit and having a father who in his lifetime was a leading member of the local branch of the British Legion I do know the translation of 'Per Ardua Ad Astra' since it was hung up over the club bar!

It comes from the the badge/motto of the British Royal Air Force and is usually taken as meaning 'Through Adversity To The Stars'' although I do remember some old members of the RAF at the Legion club bar suggesting that it should have been more appropriately renamed 'Through All Manner Of Crap To The Bars!

Nice cutting and finishing there on both of the pieces.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Nice job!!!!! good job on the pictures also.
      "The Scrollin Skeeter"

"There's nothin like the smell of fretwork in the morning"

Comment

Well it was worth the wait..........sweeeeet job on those projects Mayo.
        Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

nice work MAYO,
          well done
          not doing much
          and busy doing it

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/

Comment

Thanks for your kind words folks.

@Jim - a little disappointed that my quiz didn't survive the first post. My Uncle died recently and I'm giving it to my aunt. I'm still sruggling with a portrait of him. Kudos to all you folks that do portraits.

Comment

@Jim - a little disappointed that my quiz didn't survive the first post.
              Sorry Mayo - but I had a distinctive home advantage here and also caught your post early.

As to cutting a portrait. I haven't tried one yet and I agree with you that the folks who not only cut these but also design them are a bit special. All I can suggest is that you do your best and if it comes from the heart, as I'm sure it will, then it will be appreciated.
              Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
              - Albert Einstein

Comment

Your cutting is fantastic, and I'm very jealous about the finish that you did - how and what did you use for the finish?

Comment

@Jim Thanks for the encouragement. It is easy to hit a wall with a piece and "put it aside for later"

@Patte you'll have me blushing. The finish is Danish Oil and 4/5 coats of spray poly. Any blobs and nobbles sanded off between sprays.

Comment

Nice work indeed.

Comment

Great job Mayo. Love the wood you used.
                      Linda

Comment

Top work on those Mayo, they look good. Great photography also.

Originally posted by Mayo Farmer View Post
                        @Patte you'll have me blushing. The finish is Danish Oil and 4/5 coats of spray poly. Any blobs and nobbles sanded off between sprays.
                        I just use Danish Oil and not always happy with the result .. I might have to try the spray poly aswell. Any tips and tricks for getting a nice result?

What grit sandpaper do you use between coats?
                        Do you sand after the final coat?
                        Do you use satin, gloss, semi-gloss?
                        Just even sprays of the poly? ... when I first started scrolling I used spray lacquer and didnt always work well, mostly to me spraying too thickly in one coat instead of doing several coats
                        Last edited by Oges; 08-24-2011, 06:50 PM.
                        Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!

Comment

Originally posted by Oges View Post
                          Top work on those Mayo, they look good. Great photography also.
                          Thanks. A number of people have remarked on the pictures. The camera was a Panasonic FZ18 (few years old now) and the studio was one of these lads Portable Photo Studio Kit including Tent + Lights +: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Originally posted by Oges View Post
                          I just use Danish Oil and not always happy with the result .. I might have to try the spray poly aswell. Any tips and tricks for getting a nice result?
                          I use Danish on its own sometimes too, it sets the wood off nicely. It's never going to have the "polish" of poly. So horses for courses. Tips - nothing out the ordinary: make sure the can is well mixed, a little and often rather than one big blast of it, and if you put on a bad coat there is no point adding to it - it has to come off, watch the dust - there's a good thread on here about that just now.

What grit sandpaper do you use between coats?
                          Not sure, its the very fine or between coats one. I also use one of those sanding sponges in very fine.

Do you sand after the final coat?
                          No

Do you use satin, gloss, semi-gloss?
                          Just even sprays of the poly? ... when I first started scrolling I used spray lacquer and didnt always work well, mostly to me spraying too thickly in one coat instead of doing several coats
                          Never seen semi-gloss - maybe I should get out more . So satin or gloss, depending on:

1) What I have managed to get from the shop (a lot of places don't replace their stocks too quickly)

2) How good a finish I've managed to put on the item, Satin is more forgiving.

Yes me too - I bet we've all done it .

Good Luck.

Comment

Great job Mayo, love the finish. I've haven't used danish oil but use teak oil sometimes which really brings out the colour and grain. Thanks for posting
                            Mick
                            I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. Winston Churchill

Comment

Mick - I think its what you get used to. I find my main driver is what I can get hold of easily. I started with BLO (didn't like it), so ... Danish is nice but has a tendancy to go lumpy if you let too much air in the tin.

I find I can count on getting hold of 1" Mahogany, Walnut and sometimes Cherry, other than that its Pine, ply or MDF.

Oh I have just got a nice plank of Ash which I'm really looking forward to cutting.

Good luck

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X