Choosing A Fretwork Clock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing A Fretwork Clock

I have a DeWalt 788 and am planning to make another scroll saw clock. I have already made the Cottage Clock, and the Queens Clock from Wildwood Designs. I was hoping to make a large very intricate clock before my 18th birthday.
    I am having trouble choosing between these:
    Dome Clock
    The Chimes of Normandy
    Amiens Clock
    Roman Cathedral Clock
    Country Cottage Grandfather Clock

I know these all look impressive, but which would be most impressive? Also, besides the scroll saw, I have a planer, belt sander, drill press, and router table. I have access to a table saw if needed. I do miter cuts on the scroll saw.
    Any restriction you guys found when doing any of these? Any suggestions and comments welcome. Thanks!

To see pics of my cottage clock, go to www.scrollbench.blogspot.com
    Check out my blog and see my creations! scrollbench.com

Check out my Etsy shop here!

I have built both the Dome clock and the Roman Cathedral clock. and the both of them are a challenge,the Dome clock because of the size, the Roman Cathedal because of the angular towers. I enjoyed the both of them.
    I made the Dome clock as a full clock which means two clocks in one.
    My biggestest suprise was thsat the Roman clock was awarded Best of show and Best wood work at The Durham fair ,a few years back ,and that was the biggest suoprise for me.(my wife says that I haven't camme back to earth yet>)
    Don't be afraid to try either one or both,you'l lenjoy the exprence.
    Remember we like pictures. Good Luck.

Comment

Out of those 5, the Roman Cathedral Clock looks the most appealing to me
      Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!

Comment

Hello
        You have picked some very nice patterns. You will probably be very pleased with any of the ones you have listed. The Amiens has a lot of pieces, probably 3 + times the parts of some of the others. It also uses a variety of thicknesses of woods. If you are doing your first larger clock, I would like to add the Edgewater by Dirk Boelman of the Art Factory to your list. His pattern has lots of easy to follow instructions for assembly. The Dome, Normandy and Roman Cathedral give you the pattern pieces and expect you to figure out the construction for yourself. They are much easier once you have completed a clock. Some other clocks that are quite pretty are the Victorian Queen and the Imperial Tower and the Apostles Clock.
        Have you searched the forums here by clock name? There are quite a few clockmakers here.
        Please keep us posted as to your choice and your progress.

Norman

If you have a question or problem, (I have made the first 4 clocks on your list ) I will help you , if I can.
        Good luck

Comment

I have not cut any of those clocks but my choice would be the Amiens or Roman clocks.Happy cutting. Make sure you take pics for us lesser mortals

Comment

If you want to show off fine fretwork skills, try the Victorian Queen, from Berry Basket. Another version is on finefretwork.com, from Spain. It's not really big clock, but impressive.
            Pat B
            http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v244/mainberg/
            sigpic

Comment

Fretwork Clock

Hey thanks for the replies. I will have to keep the Edgewater in mind. Its a neat clock as well.

Comment

Question

WOW Great work on the Clocks. Even more amazing, you said you are not 18 yet. Great job. I have a question for all you clock makers about the cutting method. Is it possible to stack cut the pieces or are the too fragile?. Thanks.
                Mark
                Proud new owner of an EX-21

WWW.MGMWOODWORKS.COM

Comment

if i were too pick one it would be THE CHIMES OF NORMANDY,
                  i am hoping myself too do BIG BEN in the near future,
                  not doing much
                  and busy doing it

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Markru2002 View Post
                    WOW Great work on the Clocks. Even more amazing, you said you are not 18 yet. Great job. I have a question for all you clock makers about the cutting method. Is it possible to stack cut the pieces or are the too fragile?. Thanks.
                    Mark
                    There is no problem stack cutting . I have made the Dome Clock and the Rhinelander by Dirk Boleman and stack cut as much as I could. I only stacked 2 pieces of the 3/8 and less wood.
                    Last edited by B Smith; 02-25-2011, 04:53 PM.
                    Smitty
                    Dewalt 788

Comment

Fretwork Clock

Thanks for the responses. I had it down between Roman Cathedral and Chimes of Normandy, but I think I'm leaning towards Chimes.

Comment

Wow...I started this thread 6 years ago (!!!). College and research made time fly and kept me from my saw. However, I ended up deciding on the Roman Cathedral clock, and recently completed it! While I was hoping to complete the clock before my 21st birthday, I'm proud of how it turned out despite being 3 years late, ha. If anyone has any questions about the pattern, please don't hesitate to contact me. There were a few errors in the pattern that I had to correct for, and I would be happy to pass those along. Great pattern and a lot of fun to make nonetheless
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wow that's beautiful. In my disorganized mess I call a shop nothing could be found or finished that was started 6 years back.
                          Scott
                          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• dwssr2
                            wipe on poly and tack cloth
                            by dwssr2
                            Question, when sanding polyurethane in between coats, using a tack cloth, is it ok to wipe on poly while the project seems tacky or should a person wait a few hours to let it dry?
                            How necessary is it to sand between coats of polyurethane? I am sure people have a lot of different opinions and...
                            Today, 05:58 PM
                          • tgiro01
                            Reply to Do you know what this Is?
                            by tgiro01
                            Betty asked: "Where does the responsibility of the maker of an item end and the responsibility of the purchaser begin? My sealife puzzle is purchased by older people due to its complexity but - if they leave it laying around and a child gets a part and chokes, is that my responsibility or theirs?"...
                            Today, 12:20 PM
                          • RJweb
                            by RJweb
                            The problem now a days everyone is sue happy, no matter who’s at fault, RJ...
                            Today, 10:03 AM
                          • will8989
                            by will8989
                            Don’t forget to carry insurance if you sell a lot. It’s a necessary expense and a good "silent" partner and hope it stays that way. Where does the responsibility of the maker of an item end and the responsibility of the purchaser begin? My sealife puzzle is purchased by older people due...
                            Today, 08:44 AM
                          • keystonecop
                            by keystonecop
                            I was afraid some of my puzzles would not pass the test, but they did.. (I have some that I sell that would not (they are from the magazine) so I am not going to make them for sale anymore as I am worried about sales of those.. Maybe the magazine should have a statement of warning of small pieces if...
                            Yesterday, 08:19 PM
                          Working...
                          X