John Wayne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Wayne

Finally got around to finishing the portrait of John Wayne I've been working on and posting the picture. It is made of maple with a custom made red oak frame and a spray painted masonite backer. I also cut this out in a piece of bb plywood and will have it finished really soon.
    Attached Files
    Aaron

I have a small problem with my BB ply portrait of John Wayne. A piece of the top layer chipped off. Does anybody know how I can fix this so that it is less noticeable?

Thanks for the help.
    Aaron

Comment

Doesn't anybody have any comments?
      Aaron

Comment

This one looks nice. The one with the chip is it like the veneer lifted? If so just get some glue under it and place a weight on top with wax paper between the weight and the wood so it won't stick...then just use some sandpaper and clean it up after about an hour or so.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

It is like the veneer. I can't find the chip though. Would some saw dust and wood glue work?

Thanks for the comment. I was beginning to worry that no one would post one.
          Aaron

Comment

Sorry,
            It is the weekend and I was watching football...LOL Yes, you can use some sawdust and glue. I try and keep a small baggie with different types of woods sawdust in them just in case I'm working on a different project when I need to make up some filler.

Be aware you will not get the filler to stain exactly the same as the surrounding area in most cases. If you are going to stain the piece you may just want to leave it as natural as possible. You will be amazed at how well you can hide the mistake though, with making your own filler. Once it is in place stop fiddling with it and give it plenty of time to cure before you sand it....

Let us know how it turns out.
            "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
            Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Like the cut Aaron! The Duke is one I want to cut, but finding the time.....Seems that the dust on my hasn't been from wood lately.....Great job on it!

Jerry
              The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

Thanks for the help Mike. I tried some glue and saw dust and it hid the chip out really well.
                Aaron

Comment

Very nice cutting of the Duke, Aaron. I keep old medicine bottles for saving saw dust of different woods in, and label them appropriately as to their contents.
                  Merle
                  SSG US Army Retired.
                  [email protected]
                  http://www.etsy.com/your/listings

Comment

Nice job Aaron, my first portrait was this John Wayne, thanks for sharing.
                    Bill
                    Delta P-20

Comment

Great job. The Duke is my favorite...
                      T.J.

Comment

Nice cutting Arron. Let us know how the repair turns out. saw dust
                        Dennis

Comment

The repair was a success. Just put the finish on and it will be done soon.
                          Aaron

Comment

The Duke never looked so good Aaron
                            Regards
                            John
                            "The Golden Mile"John Wayne
                            Some of my Stuff
                            Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X