Four more Miniature Birdhouse Oenaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four more Miniature Birdhouse Oenaments

Three Miniature Birdhouse Ornaments finished. The patterns by Diana Thompson. The birdhouses are Ash, and the first 3 little birds are Purpleheart and the fourth one is Eastern Red Cedar. Cut on the Pegas scroll saw using Pegas #6 Skip blades. The finish is dipped in diluted Shellac. Comments welcome.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Nice. Doing compound cuts in purple heart? Denny you really like a challenge.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Scroller View Post
      Nice. Doing compound cuts in purple heart? Denny you really like a challenge.
      Only problem was holding the little buggers.
      Denny

Comment

Got the blades yesterday. Thank you. When I cut the birds I glue a row of them on to a 3/4” x 3/4” stick, however long Bruce cuts it for me. That way I have a “handle” of sorts to hold the birds. I cut one side, scotch tape, cut other side. Done in 3 minutes. Cut the waste off and repeat. I make a copy of the sheet and run through xyron. Here is the sheet I made. Clear as mud?
        Attached Files
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Oaks View Post

Only problem was holding the little buggers.
          Denny I guess I have made a couple hundred of these over the years. When I was on a roll I copied the bird pattern such that I had a strip of 4 end to end. I positioned such that I had room to drill pilot holes for each. Then I put them in my clamp and cut the four out on one profile and then flipped the block in the clamp and cut the other profile.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

That’s what I was trying to say Scott! I just use a longer stick. I don’t drill pilot holes. I drill hole for the perch, start on the left side, put a piece of tape along bottom to hold in place after cutting, cut other side and done. No extra drilling necessary. Bruce usually give me long strips and I do about 8 at a time. Clamps aren’t necessary with the long strips. Sorry if this is confusing, heading for more coffee!
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Well I guess I need to learn something new, rather than one little birdie at a time!
              Denny

Comment

I must try doing in strips. I have always done 2 at a time with small clamps to hold the birdies.

Also, when I do mine I always fill the hole with moss. I used to use dryer lint or cedar leaves but I got a bag of moss from dollar store and it will last a lifetime.

IMG_8282 (600 x 400).jpg IMG_8270 (574 x 600).jpg
                Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

The strip method is the way to go for small compound cut objects. Betty's photo reminded me of my first published project in SSWC, in 2007, which was a bow box, and pulled up the strip of hand-drawn patterns I submitted for making the bow loops. It really makes the process go quickly.

final loop pattern sheet.jpg
                  Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I have done them in strips for a while. Thanks for the reminder Carole, I need to make some more of those ribbon boxes.
                    Rolf
                    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X