Soda Can Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soda Can Covers

I don't usually cross post but I know there are a number of turners here that do both.

At our club a couple of wood turners started to turn Soda Can Covers. They are to protect getting in bugs and wasps when outdoors or woodchips in the workshop. They started out fairly plain but they got fancier and fancier. (see the Pepsi Below) One was even in the shape of a bowler hat and one as a poop emoji. Works for beer cans too. A couple who sell at craft shows use these to attract customers and the small cost ends up paying for the table. Easy to make.
    ChrisLapine-DuststopCover11232015.jpg

Then the scroller (me) has to get involved and take it to the next level. Only a scroller can to with personalized covers.

Made from Maple with a died birch veneer as a backer and baked FIMO clay for the initials.
    IMG_8646.jpg IMG_8648.jpg

Attached Files
    Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

What a neat idea! I will need to investigate the FIMO clay.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Oh my gosh....that beats the plastic coaster I flip upside down and put on top of my cans. The lip on coasters sometimes isn't enough and they slip off if you don't seat them just right. Love it!
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Bruce loved it! He’s going to make some for when we go to the market next time and have one sitting on the table on top of a can as a display. He’s making one to keep the sawdust out of his cup. What a great idea!
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

That is sure a great idea.
          Denny
          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

That’s brilliant! Could do the same for cup tops for those of us who don’t drink canned drinks. Sawdust is not a tasty water supplement!

Comment

Originally posted by Arcy View Post
              Sawdust is not a tasty water supplement!
              True, but think of the fiber!

Karl
              Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Nice idea but for those of us without a lathe could be a challenge. However the cover could be made quite simply on the scroll saw by cutting several rings of the right size and gluing them together with a top

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                  Nice idea but for those of us without a lathe could be a challenge. However the cover could be made quite simply on the scroll saw by cutting several rings of the right size and gluing them together with a top
                  I did the two on the top only with my scroll saw. Much faster with lathe but you cannot add Initials or decorations.

Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                    Reply to Bruce’s new toys
                    by will8989
                    It took him a year to get rid of all the stuff for her. That actually cost Bruce a $5.00 donation to the club. All the attachments are Tormex. $35 was for everything. He’s quite happy.
                    Yesterday, 09:02 PM
                  • Ennobee
                    Reply to Wisconsin
                    by Ennobee
                    I know Wausau from the boxes of paper in our office. They got 'Wausau paper' printed all over them. Always thought to hat was in China, though....
                    Yesterday, 06:38 PM
                  • mtwoodguy
                    Reply to Hi All
                    by mtwoodguy
                    Welcome Ian from Reno Nevada! Glad to have you aboard. Some saws can be frustrating, and others we love. Lots of help available here.
                    Yesterday, 03:11 PM
                  • Kingpin
                    Hi All
                    by Kingpin
                    Hello Everyone, Just joined and wanted to say hi I am Ian from England, Been working with wood most of My life in one form or another and only recently acquired a cheap little saw that I am yet to use in anger
                    Yesterday, 12:53 PM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Bruce’s new toys
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    $35 was a great price no matter what. Bruce definitely scored big time. And by the same token, the wife found new homes for her hubby's stuff that she had no use for. I'd rather sell cheap to someone who may actually use them than any other purpose.
                    Yesterday, 10:54 AM
                  Working...
                  X