No announcement yet.

Sue Mey Nativity my way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple people asked about the size and how I made the arch on my version.

First of all the arch is cut from a piece of wood 11 1/4" long and 9 1/4" high. The grain runs in the 11/1/4" direction.

I am not good at drawing or computer graphics so here is how I made the arch. I am sure folks have a better way but this all I know.
    1. Made a photo copy of the original Sue Mey pattern at 100%.
    2. Attached the arch pattern to a piece of hardboard (Masonite) and cut the outside of the arch.
    3. Then I attached the piece I just cut to a slightly larger piece of hardboard with double sided tape.
    4. Using a regular washer traced around the out of the arch. This now defined the outside of my arch.
    5. Cut along the line I just traced and also the inside line.
    6. You now have a template to drawing the arch. I would not use this method to cut just one or two but it works well when you plan to numerous. I m making 10.

* NOTE this arch is designed to fit flush with the bottom of the base and NOT extend through like Sue's design.

I hope this makes sense. If you have a better way I am all ear.

arch 1.jpg arch 2.jpg
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Thank you Scott for sharing your enlargement method. I am going to copy your procedure, because both of my customerd liked the idea of easy storage/puzzle for the kids. Everyone BE WELL & BE SAFE.

Rick
      Rick
      Just because the circus left town, doesn't mean the Monkey's off your back

Comment

Your system worked, it is simple. I do every thing on the computer.
        The idea of a template when making multiples is a good one. I would take that one step further and use a router in combination with the template. Rough cut the arch the finish with the router.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I just got the pattern. I will shrink the pattern 10% - 15%. Cut the paper pieces and place them in the arch for sizing. Cut the inside of the arch and add line for bottom, all one piece, glue 1/8” plywood to the arch then cut the outside and route edges. Self contained box.
          The pieces will be solid cut from different woods. I have a supply of 5/8” wood for puzzles. Clear as mud? I’ll sell them for $40.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
            I just got the pattern. I will shrink the pattern 10% - 15%. Cut the paper pieces and place them in the arch for sizing. Cut the inside of the arch and add line for bottom, all one piece, glue 1/8” plywood to the arch then cut the outside and route edges. Self contained box.
            The pieces will be solid cut from different woods. I have a supply of 5/8” wood for puzzles. Clear as mud? I’ll sell them for $40.
            I think I can visualize it. Post a picture when you get it done.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

My intention is to do this today. I may leave it at the original size. Woods are cherry, walnut, red heart, yellow heart, poplar, maple. The arch will be out of poplar.
              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X