A different kind of bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different kind of bowl

I was recently contacted by a turner, new to scrolled bowls, who in an effort to create a freeform shape, had designed a pattern that was impossible to cut, let alone sand. To help him understand why this occurred, I created a simplified version of his profile, and saw it through to completion. I found that even in this modified state, it was a challenge, since the diameter of each curve changes radically as the rings become smaller.

For those of you familiar with either stacked ring bowls or with double bevel inlay, you'll notice that although the cutting was always done in a clockwise direction (workpiece to the left of the blade), the incurving areas behave as though they were cut counterclockwise, which is why the turner ran out of wood by the third ring of his more steeply curved design. Sanding away the points was nail biting, but I've done it before and have learned how to sneak up on it. That said, I came perilously close to ruining the project on several occasions.

I've also discovered that once the exterior appears to be finished, sanding with the soft flexible pad sander, using higher grits, shows up every little deviation in the surface, in addition to any swirl marks from coarser grits. This allows for a higher degree of correction and detection of minute glue lines between the rings, without jeopardizing the shape.

These new realizations were ample compensation for the time spent trying to help. I'm still amazed at how much more there is to learn!
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Always learning, teaching and sharing. Amazing shape and your usual great attention to detail.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Interesting bowl. Sometimes it is all about the challenge!
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

At first it looked like your wavy bowl, but now I see the difference. What a challenge.
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

It is not always about the finish but in the journey. Beautiful.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Carole

Did you use your normal sanding procedures (flex drums as well as the Sanding pads)?
            Are you going to publish this project in a new book?
            cwmagee
            aka Fibber
            Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Very nice to see that before and after. Great results. You are the sanding master for sure.
              "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

WOW my one word was not long enough for a post...
                The other John A. Nelson
                johnsworkshop.com
                sigpic
                I just follow the lines and make sawdust
                on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

Carole - as well as being an accomplished bowl maker you are exceptionally tenacious and always seem to work your way through challenges and finish up with beautiful pieces of work. This one is no exception! Congrats!
                  Last edited by jim_mex; 06-06-2020, 08:10 PM.
                  Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                  - Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks, all, for the kind words--much appreciated!

Jim McD--teaching is what I've done all my life, and I do enjoy being contacted by people who either want to share their work, or need help figuring out why they're having trouble. I've met some very talented and interesting folks from all over the world that way, which I still find mind-boggling, and do feel that I'm often getting back more than I'm giving.

Rolf, Denny, Scott and Jim M--it IS about the challenge! Since my projects use so little wood, even a total disaster isn't a big deal, except to my pride. What's magical is how something can look so rough after cutting, and finish up looking totally different. I still have trouble sometimes conceptualizing how a pattern will play out, which is part of the fun.

Fibber--I used the large and small round inflatables from the Guinevere system (KA Tools) for the interior, but mostly the small one. No drums, except to contour the top edge, since they risk digging into the sides. For the really tight places, I have a tiny tip, I think it's a Proxxon, which I use with a Dremel flex shaft. I'm attaching a photo that show how much smaller it is than the typical Dremel drum. And I had to resort to a sandpaper-wrapped dowel for some tricky spots. Whatever works! And regarding another book, not likely. I revised the bowl book last year, with a completely rewritten first chapter, and added some newer projects, so I think that's about it for the time being.

Randy and John--Thanks for the accolades! After all these years of bowl-making, you sort of get the hang of the sanding part, just like any other skill you practice over and over. If you think of it as shaping, it becomes a creative process, not a drudgery.

I do have an interesting bowl coming out sometime in the future in SSWC, which was a major learning experience for me in just how the rings work when you start inserting things into the blank. Took about 10 prototypes before I was satisfied, but was another interesting adventure, also inspired by a reader's questions about a project that didn't work out.

And the best part is that I'm having a grand old time--who could ask for more?
                    Carole

Comment

Carole I do have the flex shaft on my Dremel but I find that the higher speed of this unit gives me more control. I also have the foot speed control for this unit. It spins up to 45,000 rpm and is reversible which really gives you more control in certain instances. It was a bit of an investment but certainly gets a workout as do most of my tools. The newer version is brush less but pricey. It spins up even faster. For those of you that have not done any power carving , the faster the tool spins the less it will grab and get away from you. My detail carver spins up to 400,000 rpm. That is like writing with a pen.Ram Power carver (Small).jpg
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Hmmmmmm . . got a birthday coming up in August.
                        Last edited by handibunny; 06-09-2020, 05:36 AM.
                        Carole

Comment

Hi Carole, That is an awesome bowl!!!! I know how hard those corners are to sand. I'm glad that you like new challenges. It provides the rest of us with inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

Donna
                          www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

Thanks, Donna. I've learned that it's prudent to design bowls so that there will be plenty of wood available for sanding, just in case it's needed. I've also discovered that as little as 1/8" of wood is sufficient for a successful glue-up, but it looks very scary!
                            Carole

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• handibunny
                              Reply to Latest Project
                              by handibunny
                              I hope they appreciated the love and care that went into your beautiful work!
                              Today, 07:47 PM
                            • NC Scroller
                              Reply to Latest Project
                              by NC Scroller
                              A piece to be cherished.
                              Today, 02:06 PM
                            • meflick
                              Reply to Latest Project
                              by meflick
                              Beautiful piece Fibber and something that will long be treasured. Congratulations to them on 25 years. Hubby and I celebrated 35 last week. We got a new drill press. 😉☺️ (My idea.)...
                              Today, 01:48 PM
                            • cwmagee
                              Latest Project
                              by cwmagee
                              My daughter and son-in-law celebrated their 25th Anniversary in June. Since they have the means to acquire anything that they want, I had to find something that was unique. I decided on the Full Moon Night Light by Deb Nicholson feature in Issue #60. Due the Covid19, I finally got an opportunity to...
                              Today, 01:18 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Did you know..
                              by will8989
                              Almost over this itchy problem. Just some on my left arm and leg. Caladryl was my friend. I would just dump some on and smear around! Down to my regular daily allergy pill but that helped a lot also. Did have to change my follow up appointment with the eye doctor until middle of August.
                              Today, 11:08 AM
                            Working...
                            X