Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basket Star

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Basket Star

    This is a pattern Steve Good posted several weeks ago. I like making baskets, so I thought I would give this a try. I modified the pattern slightly by adding a 1/2" Hard Maple base. I used 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood. It is 8" in diameter at the widest part and 4" high. I used FD UR #1 blades and finished with spray Polyurethane Clear Satin. Comments welcome.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

  • #2
    That looks really nice Denny. I like the addition of using maple as the base. As a nice contrast. Thanks for showing.
    Melanie from East TN

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by meflick View Post
      That looks really nice Denny. I like the addition of using maple as the base. As a nice contrast. Thanks for showing.
      Thanks Melanie. I used the Maple not only for looks, but with 1/4" material when drilling for the coin label, it leaves a small hole in the top.
      Denny
      ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

      Comment


      • #4
        Almost has s the look of a woven bowl. Great work on that piece.
        Jim
        When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
        Too early to leave, too late to call in.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jim McDonald View Post
          Almost has s the look of a woven bowl. Great work on that piece.
          Thanks Jim. Not sure about the plywood, but I agree.
          Denny
          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

          Comment


          • #6
            Looks pretty good. When I saw pattern on Steve's Blog, I gave some thought of making one.

            Then I slipped on some mud and fractured my left ankle. So I have not been doing anything other being a couch potato That will continue until mid June at the earliest. Fortunately I did not need surgery.
            cwmagee
            aka Fibber
            Producer of fancy firewood​

            Comment


            • #7
              Wow Fibber! Mud will get you every time. Glad you didn't need surgery. Take it easy and heal quickly.
              Denny
              ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

              Comment


              • #8
                I emphasize with FIbber, as I ran my thumb thru the tablesaw.and a trip to urgent care and just over 2 months healing. Hope to be back in the shop soon. Lucky as I only had the blade 1/4 inch above the board. Fibber, I hope there are no lingering effects and you will be good as new..
                ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

                Comment


                • #9
                  Wow, another injury. Table saws are the most dangerous piece of equipment in the shop. My dad cut a thumb and finger.
                  Denny
                  ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Denny, Your bowl is really nice. The layered "lines" of the edges actually add a nice visual addition to the star pattern. It accentuates the design. I saw it and envisioned a pretty green silk type leafy plant coming out of the top. Eye catcher for sure!
                    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Nicely done Denny. Plywood adds an interesting effect, but I think it would really pop with some cherry or Spanish cedar. I like the solid maple base. I would also reduce the top rings to one and make it with solid wood also.
                      My biggest challenge with these stacked ring baskets is aligning them during assembly, I always seem to skew them to one side.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Linda In Phoenix View Post
                        Denny, Your bowl is really nice. The layered "lines" of the edges actually add a nice visual addition to the star pattern. It accentuates the design. I saw it and envisioned a pretty green silk type leafy plant coming out of the top. Eye catcher for sure!
                        Thanks Linda. Nice idea about the pretty green silk type leafy plant.
                        Denny
                        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                          Nicely done Denny. Plywood adds an interesting effect, but I think it would really pop with some cherry or Spanish cedar. I like the solid maple base. I would also reduce the top rings to one and make it with solid wood also.
                          My biggest challenge with these stacked ring baskets is aligning them during assembly, I always seem to skew them to one side.
                          Thanks Rolf. This one was rather easy to line up. One thing I learned from Alex Fox"s video is start with the largest right and glue up from there. This used almost a complete sheet (12 x 24) plywood. Hardwoods would be expensive. You are right about the top ring. I should have used a solid piece of hardwood like the bottom.
                          Denny
                          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

                          Comment

                          Unconfigured Ad Widget

                          Collapse

                          Latest Topics

                          Collapse

                          Working...
                          X