Basket 2019 a Steve Good pattern

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basket 2019 a Steve Good pattern

I saw this in his email last week and thought I would make one. I enlarged the pattern by 15% to make the basket just under 6" square and 2 1/2" high. The sides are 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood and the top and bottom from Mahogany. I used FD Polar #5 blades as I stack cut 4 pieces. Finished with spray Shellac. Getting each layer lined up when gluing was the hardest part. Comments welcome.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

I like that size Denny, looks like it would make a great basket for napkins. I may need to give this one a try. As always, looks great and you did a nice job. Thanks for sharing,
    Melanie from East TN

Comment

Thanks Melanie. I used that size because I could get eight 6" square pieces out of a 12" x 24" piece of plywood.. I didn't try napkins, but I think it should be larger.
      Denny

Comment

The plywood mages it look like woven grass. Sandy many many years ago I made these small boxes. To aid the alignment for assembly there were holes drilled through the stack at both ends for a small dowel. That made it real easy to align everything. I made a bunch of them and inlayed the tops. A very inefficient use of wood. But seeing your basket I may have to make some more.Jewelry box rectangular B.jpgbasket.jpg
        Last edited by Rolf; 03-20-2019, 08:14 AM.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks Rolf. That is also a great idea.
          Denny

Comment

I made the round one of Steve’s pattern with the handle. I also enlarged it and cut it out of 3/4 cherry only cutting 3 rings. I then cut the smaller size out of the waste of the larger one. I just can’t sell plywood baskets here. People want the “real” wood so I give them what they want and charge more.
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
              I made the round one of Steve’s pattern with the handle. I also enlarged it and cut it out of 3/4 cherry only cutting 3 rings. I then cut the smaller size out of the waste of the larger one. I just can’t sell plywood baskets here. People want the “real” wood so I give them what they want and charge more.
              Betty, I also prefer real wood, but I liked the look of the plywood.
              Denny

Comment

I do too but my customers don’t.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bill Wilson
                  Reply to wipe on poly and tack cloth
                  by Bill Wilson
                  First, follow the instructions on the can, regarding wait time between coats. I would think that for the first couple coats, re-applying while the previous coat was still tacky wouldn't be terrible, but I would warn that building several coats without allowing proper drying time, will extend the overall,...
                  Today, 08:50 AM
                • Don in Brooklin On
                  Reply to wipe on poly and tack cloth
                  by Don in Brooklin On
                  I use wipe on poly quite often and I apply 2 thin coats before sanding with 220 or 320. I wipe with a lint free. Someone told me not to use tack cloth as you can leave behind a wee bit of beeswax witch could cause issues later on.

I make sure that the surface is dry and not tacky before...
                  Yesterday, 05:41 AM
                • dwssr2
                  wipe on poly and tack cloth
                  by dwssr2
                  Question, when sanding polyurethane in between coats, using a tack cloth, is it ok to wipe on poly while the project seems tacky or should a person wait a few hours to let it dry?
                  How necessary is it to sand between coats of polyurethane? I am sure people have a lot of different opinions and...
                  04-24-2019, 05:58 PM
                • tgiro01
                  Reply to Do you know what this Is?
                  by tgiro01
                  Betty asked: "Where does the responsibility of the maker of an item end and the responsibility of the purchaser begin? My sealife puzzle is purchased by older people due to its complexity but - if they leave it laying around and a child gets a part and chokes, is that my responsibility or theirs?"...
                  04-24-2019, 12:20 PM
                • RJweb
                  Reply to Do you know what this Is?
                  by RJweb
                  The problem now a days everyone is sue happy, no matter who’s at fault, RJ...
                  04-24-2019, 10:03 AM
                Working...
                X