Basket 2019 a Steve Good pattern

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basket 2019 a Steve Good pattern

I saw this in his email last week and thought I would make one. I enlarged the pattern by 15% to make the basket just under 6" square and 2 1/2" high. The sides are 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood and the top and bottom from Mahogany. I used FD Polar #5 blades as I stack cut 4 pieces. Finished with spray Shellac. Getting each layer lined up when gluing was the hardest part. Comments welcome.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

I like that size Denny, looks like it would make a great basket for napkins. I may need to give this one a try. As always, looks great and you did a nice job. Thanks for sharing,
    Melanie from East TN

Comment

Thanks Melanie. I used that size because I could get eight 6" square pieces out of a 12" x 24" piece of plywood.. I didn't try napkins, but I think it should be larger.
      Denny

Comment

The plywood mages it look like woven grass. Sandy many many years ago I made these small boxes. To aid the alignment for assembly there were holes drilled through the stack at both ends for a small dowel. That made it real easy to align everything. I made a bunch of them and inlayed the tops. A very inefficient use of wood. But seeing your basket I may have to make some more.Jewelry box rectangular B.jpgbasket.jpg
        Last edited by Rolf; 03-20-2019, 08:14 AM.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks Rolf. That is also a great idea.
          Denny

Comment

I made the round one of Steve’s pattern with the handle. I also enlarged it and cut it out of 3/4 cherry only cutting 3 rings. I then cut the smaller size out of the waste of the larger one. I just can’t sell plywood baskets here. People want the “real” wood so I give them what they want and charge more.
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
              I made the round one of Steve’s pattern with the handle. I also enlarged it and cut it out of 3/4 cherry only cutting 3 rings. I then cut the smaller size out of the waste of the larger one. I just can’t sell plywood baskets here. People want the “real” wood so I give them what they want and charge more.
              Betty, I also prefer real wood, but I liked the look of the plywood.
              Denny

Comment

I do too but my customers don’t.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X