I just bought another year of Scrollmania hosting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just bought another year of Scrollmania hosting

For those that don't know me, my name is Dave Van Ess and I write the occasional article for the magazine. I also developed the bowl designing software called PolyDraw. It and other useful tools and tutorials are are bundled together and can be found at scrollmania.com.

Well I just paid for another here for the website to be hosted and I am asking that if you use Polydraw, bfCalc, or AngleCalc to please consider making a donation to help defray the cost. I know some of you are using it as I get e-mails for help. I even have even helped people over the phone.

I want to assure that as long as I am alive I will continue to provide this site free of charge for all that want to use it. Anything you can spare would help.

I will be making changes this year.
    - The Scale value will have 100 times more resolution so designing bowls with metric measurements will both be easy and accurate.
    - Soffware is being updated to HTML5 to make support easier for you ever take this on after me.
    - The Load and Save commands are being rewritten to no longer use Flash (I can hear the sighs of relief for the MAC users.)

People have asked about a stand alone version. It is very doable but I do not have the wereifall to take on that big of a fenture anymore. IF there is someone that
    would like to do some I will license the software to you for zero fee and no commission per product.

Dave Van Ess

Thanks, Dave, for your continued hosting of a site that has become more and more invaluable for me over the years. I’m happy to lend whatever support—financial or otherwise—that is useful or needed. It’s the least I can do. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (5 star rating)
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

It would be interesting to try to port the program just for fun, (and to understand how it works), but for longevity, what language would it go to. I remember in high school programming in Basic, then GW Basic, Turtle Logo, then in college programming in Cobol and Fortran, then on the PC Dbase III was quite the rage, but by the time I got to the work force, Fox Pro had taken over, then MS Access got a following, and VB. Then Perl, Java, PHP, Python, and the languages still march on. I still use Perl, Powershell, C#, and am pretty familiar with Java though it has been a few years. All that to say . . . not sure what language would give it the best chance going forward. I am however a huge fan up open source, then you have all sorts of ports, and that model keeps the software free going forward.
      "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Randy

It is written in HTML and javascript. with the host processing stuff written in python. PolyDraw consists of the code to enter the data and the code to translate it to postscript. On the host side the post script is changed to PDF.

If I was to port to a stand alone system I would change the interface so each polydraw element would its own page and they would have a lot more options. There would be rotate and the ability to display only a part of a poly (Carol knows why). Of course these are just what I would do.

I would write it in Python because it is a popular language that is well supported and it free, Python is used by people doing graphing applications.

Do you have javascript experience? HMTL?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveVanEss View Post

Randy

It is written in HTML and javascript. with the host processing stuff written in python. PolyDraw consists of the code to enter the data and the code to translate it to postscript. On the host side the post script is changed to PDF.

If I was to port to a stand alone system I would change the interface so each polydraw element would its own page and they would have a lot more options. There would be rotate and the ability to display only a part of a poly (Carol knows why). Of course these are just what I would do.

I would write it in Python because it is a popular language that is well supported and it free, Python is used by people doing graphing applications.

Do you have javascript experience? HMTL?

Dave
          Yes, I've done Javascript over the years and and pretty decent in HTML. I love the idea of porting it but I think the scope of the effort would be more than I could commit to though. Sounds pretty complex. I think if I were to take it on and move it to a standalone, it would have to be in C# because that is what I'm currently using at work and that experience would improve those skills.
          "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

I found this gear software that I like its display format. http://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/index.html I think this would be a nice st alone interface

Comment

**** I side tracked the message I wanted to talk about donations and we end up talking coding.

Dave

Comment

How do we make a donation?

Comment

Go to scrollmania.com and on the left hand side of the page there is a tab that says Donations. Just click on it and you will go to a page showing how to make donations.

Dave

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• leehljp
                    Ladder Legs
                    leehljp
                    I subscribe to a daily email from "homemade tools" and a few are hilarious, and some are ingenious. Here is an amusing one:
                    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...-18#post115897

Enjoy.
                    Today, 07:06 PM
                  • Scrappile
                    Reply to Elk Meadow
                    Scrappile
                    Well done. Elk, are one of the most beautiful animals in North America as far as I am concerned.
                    Today, 01:04 PM
                  • Sandy Oaks
                    Reply to Pricing
                    Sandy Oaks
                    Lee, we have a pen turner displayed at ArtCrafters. Many of the pens are $25 and we sell maybe 4 - 5 each month. I am sure at a place like Knoxville he could more than double the price....
                    Today, 09:34 AM
                  • Rolf
                    Reply to 1st cabinet UP!!!!
                    Rolf
                    We could not do that in our kitchen the ceiling and walls are way too crooked. So to fool the eye some of our cabinets go all of the way up with trim molding the others are lower also with crown molding. There is no continuous line to catch the eye.
                    Today, 08:34 AM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to 1st cabinet UP!!!!
                    will8989
                    WHAT? We’re taking them down? Bruce decided he should have put them flush with the ceiling so we’re taking them down and raising them 1/2”!!! Do you know how heavy these are? He decided he wanted as narrow as possible, or no, molding at the top at all. And yes, Scott they have stuff in them.😲😲...
                    Today, 08:26 AM
                  Working...
                  X