Paddling Moose

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddling Moose

Took a while - but these are finally done .....

This is my second "batch" of these guys - this time around I departed from the original pattern to better fit our towns theme as the Canoe Capital of Canada. So instead of a kayak there is a canoe, instead of the kayaking double blade paddle there is a traditional single blade paddle. Neither did I include the hanger for the Christmas tree - these guys are made to sit flat and be displayed (hopefully) year round.

These guys really are a pain to make - but their desirability makes the effort worthwhile ..... kinda ...... sorta ...... every couple years or so ...... maybe .....

Thanks to Ruth Chopp for the original design - hope she doesn't mind the changes I've made.

Jay

IMG_1356.jpgIMG_1357.jpgIMG_1359.jpgIMG_1360.jpgAtikokan - Canoeing Capital of Canada (2).jpg
    Last edited by RangerJay; 02-06-2018, 03:20 PM.

Nice looking fleet you have there Jay. I hope you sell a boatload of them.

Karl
    Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

I agree -- Great "looking Fleet" and also a "pain to make". I make them in batches of 6 and they keep disappearing. Then I wait 6 months and repeat.
      www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

I made just three of these time consuming little buggers. They sure are cute, but WOW, a lot of work for such a li'l thing. You are in Atikokan - do you ever get to Walt's Dry Goods? Last year I had the opportunity to talk to Randy from there. He seems like a real nice fella. If you see him, say Hi from Jo Labre from the map store in Racine, Wisconsin.
        Jo Labre - in beautiful Racine, Wisconsin

Mostly, I don't know what I am doing - but I am doing it with GUSTO!

Comment

Jay, those are way too cute.
          Denny
          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

The first three photos made me smile. The fourth photo mad me chuckle. The whole fleet of mooses (mice?) is quite a sight.
            Thanks for sharing.

"Time to give back."
            "Time to Give Back"

Comment

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Karl: no chance at selling a boatload ..... my wife quickly takes over anything I make that fits in the "cute" department - and she already has a list of "beneficiaries" ...... as I write I think there are 3 that are unspoken for .....

Jo: yes - to live in Atikokan is to shop at Walt's Dry Goods - a neat place - the oldest business in town - stepping through the door is a genuine step back to the 50's - except - of course - for the debit/credit card machine ....

Thanks again,

Jay

Comment

I do love the Canoe variation. If you have no objection I may bootleg that one and make a few for next Christmas.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf:

You'll note that I kept the kayak ring in - at least in my mind it made a comfortable transition from the body of the moose to the canoe - and let me get away without hollowing the canoe. The shaping of the bow and stern took a bit of trial and error - got pretty quick at it in the end - did the rough shaping on the benchtop belt sander and clean-up with the dremel tool

Jay

Comment

when I did my Moose's I cut the Hull at a few degrees. that helped with the initial shape at the bow and sides. Then having a 6" pneumatic drum sander really helped with the rest of it. Your shaping of the Canoe was definitely worth your effort.
                    Rolf
                    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I wouldn't dare make these. They would just keep finding new homes faster than I could make them! Coolness.
                      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X