Geometric Compound Cut Ornaments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geometric Compound Cut Ornaments

I finished these this weekend. The patterns are by Sue Mey and found in the current issue of SWWC. I used Eastern White Cedar which I think is too soft. I cut them on the DeWalt 788 and used FD Polar #9 blades. The finish is spray Shellac. Comments welcome.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Those look really nice Denny. I think i like them in the lighter color wood then the dark wood shown in the magazine. Thanks for showing them.
    Melanie from East TN

Comment

Originally posted by meflick View Post
      Those look really nice Denny. I think i like them in the lighter color wood then the dark wood shown in the magazine. Thanks for showing them.
      Thanks Melanie. I like the lighter color too, But I need something not quite so soft.
      Denny

Comment

Bass wood works very well for these type cuttings.

Comment

Originally posted by GladeFade View Post
          Bass wood works very well for these type cuttings.
          Thanks. I thought about trying Basswood. By the way, how are you doing? I haven't heard from you lately.
          Denny

Comment

These are very nice.
            I tried some basswood 3-d ornaments a while back and they seemed to be very fragile. I dropped one and it split readily.

I saw these patterns and want to make them but have been having trouble finding 2 x 2 blanks. It seems like all "2x2" material is actually 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" which is too small for these patterns. Any ideas where I can find the 2x2 blocks to make these?

Comment

You can do a glue up or shrink the pattern to fit 1.5, I shrink many of my projects to fit standard size lumber.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by vgraf View Post
                These are very nice.
                I tried some basswood 3-d ornaments a while back and they seemed to be very fragile. I dropped one and it split readily.

I saw these patterns and want to make them but have been having trouble finding 2 x 2 blanks. It seems like all "2x2" material is actually 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" which is too small for these patterns. Any ideas where I can find the 2x2 blocks to make these?
                I got some 2 x 2 stock from Ocooch Hardwoods. They seemed rather expensive.
                Denny

Comment

Look real nice, Denny. I have, in the past found 2 x 2 blanks on e-bay. That was back in my bottle stopper making days. Also places that sell wood turning supplies, Penn State Industries for one but there are many others that I no longer remember. Maybe look for bottle stopper blanks, game call blanks...
                  AKA Paul from Washington State
                  Hegner Multimax 22-V and Seyco ST-21

Comment

Thanks everyone. I will check out these suggestions for sources. I will also check out Rolf's idea. If i shrink the patterns I may have to thicken the pattern a little if it looks like the finished product might be too fragile.

Comment

They look nice but I don’t think my hands could handle that thick wood. I have a hard time with anything over 1 1/2”.
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                        They look nice but I don’t think my hands could handle that thick wood. I have a hard time with anything over 1 1/2”.
                        I agree. That is why I used a soft wood.
                        Denny

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X