Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geometric Compound Cut Ornaments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Geometric Compound Cut Ornaments

    I finished these this weekend. The patterns are by Sue Mey and found in the current issue of SWWC. I used Eastern White Cedar which I think is too soft. I cut them on the DeWalt 788 and used FD Polar #9 blades. The finish is spray Shellac. Comments welcome.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

  • #2
    Those look really nice Denny. I think i like them in the lighter color wood then the dark wood shown in the magazine. Thanks for showing them.
    Melanie from East TN

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by meflick View Post
      Those look really nice Denny. I think i like them in the lighter color wood then the dark wood shown in the magazine. Thanks for showing them.
      Thanks Melanie. I like the lighter color too, But I need something not quite so soft.
      Denny
      ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

      Comment


      • #4
        Bass wood works very well for these type cuttings.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GladeFade View Post
          Bass wood works very well for these type cuttings.
          Thanks. I thought about trying Basswood. By the way, how are you doing? I haven't heard from you lately.
          Denny
          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

          Comment


          • #6
            These are very nice.
            I tried some basswood 3-d ornaments a while back and they seemed to be very fragile. I dropped one and it split readily.

            I saw these patterns and want to make them but have been having trouble finding 2 x 2 blanks. It seems like all "2x2" material is actually 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" which is too small for these patterns. Any ideas where I can find the 2x2 blocks to make these?

            Comment


            • #7
              You can do a glue up or shrink the pattern to fit 1.5, I shrink many of my projects to fit standard size lumber.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by vgraf View Post
                These are very nice.
                I tried some basswood 3-d ornaments a while back and they seemed to be very fragile. I dropped one and it split readily.

                I saw these patterns and want to make them but have been having trouble finding 2 x 2 blanks. It seems like all "2x2" material is actually 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" which is too small for these patterns. Any ideas where I can find the 2x2 blocks to make these?
                I got some 2 x 2 stock from Ocooch Hardwoods. They seemed rather expensive.
                Denny
                ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

                Comment


                • #9
                  Look real nice, Denny. I have, in the past found 2 x 2 blanks on e-bay. That was back in my bottle stopper making days. Also places that sell wood turning supplies, Penn State Industries for one but there are many others that I no longer remember. Maybe look for bottle stopper blanks, game call blanks...
                  AKA Paul from Washington State
                  Hegner Multimax 22-V and Seyco ST-21

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks everyone. I will check out these suggestions for sources. I will also check out Rolf's idea. If i shrink the patterns I may have to thicken the pattern a little if it looks like the finished product might be too fragile.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      They look nice but I don’t think my hands could handle that thick wood. I have a hard time with anything over 1 1/2”.
                      Betty

                      "Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                        They look nice but I don’t think my hands could handle that thick wood. I have a hard time with anything over 1 1/2”.
                        I agree. That is why I used a soft wood.
                        Denny
                        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

                        Comment

                        Unconfigured Ad Widget

                        Collapse

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X