Water lilly box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water lilly box

I hd been looking at Carole's beautiful Water Lilly box in summer issue of scroll saw mag. I thought I would like to make it. But alas! as usual I didn't have the neccessary wood.
    Getting the timber here in the U.K. is difficult and comes at a high premium, one supplier wanted to charge me £70 about $91 in American dollars for a board of Sapele measuring 1 metre long x 200mm wide x 25mm thick that was without delivery charges, I can't remember the name of the supplier but Dick Turpin (Highway man) comes to mind. When I asked for Aspen and Poplar
    The bloke looked at me as though I had just stepped of another planet. I have since learned that Poplar is called Tulip wood here.
    However back in my workshop I looked around and found and found some pieces of European Ash, American white Ash and some White Oak, but none wide enough for the project, so I planed
    and jointed it and glued up, not ideal but I had no option, as for Aspen I used some pine for the petals and painted them off white, I don't like mixing paint with hardwoods but in this case I had no option. I liked the way Carole used the Poplar to replicate the pond on which the Lilly floats, I would have liked to have done that, maybe I will have another try if I can get some Poplar.
    However in the meantime here is my humble attemt. Incidently Carole if you are around on the Forum how on earth did you manage to get 30 stamens into a 5mm hole, I couldn't do it
    I had to drill a slightly larger hole and still had a job fitting them all in.

Harry
    Attached Files

Lovely job on the water lily box, Harry. Your petals are nicely cut, and the stamens worked out just fine. You always do such nice work!

I'm sorry you have such trouble getting wood. We seem to be spoiled over here with the relative ease with which we can get just about every type we might want. I've even found a cabinet shop where they are happy to have me take away their beautiful scraps, for which I'm grateful.

However, you've managed to overcome your problem quite nicely. I also did some research, and found that the Tulip Poplar is not even in the poplar family, but is related to the magnolia, which make sense in terms of its lovely flower, but the terminology is used so loosely that what matters is whether it's wood you can use, and not what it's called. Often I'm not exactly sure what I'm using, but really don't care as long as it works for me.

I think I may have made my stamens slightly longer than yours, which would make it easier to bunch them up. I did count mine, and if it's not exactly 30, it's very close. I hold them very tightly so they can't splay as I push them into the hole. Sometimes a toothpick helps in moving them around, or inserting an extra stamen.

Looking forward to your next beautiful project!
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

for your comments Carole.

I did get some off cuts from a local Joiners shop which quite similar to the poplar you used it graduated from an olive green to a brown
      I used the wood to make some book-ends, wish I had saved it now. Two or three years ago I sent for some hardwood from Ocooch in the states
      on the face of it the price was very reasonable, but by the time import V.A.T. was added and postal office charges and shipping e.c.t.
      they outweighed the actual cost of the wood itself. As all the boxes you have designed I think the Lilly box is great, my wife thinks so too
      I wish I had your talent.

for making my hobby a real pleasure.

Harry.
      Last edited by Harry; 08-06-2017, 01:15 PM.

Comment

That is a very beautiful Lilly and one I surely will try one of these days. Yep, you once again show how lucky we are here in America and the bounty of things we can obtain. Most people don't even realize how nice it is. Sad. Maybe when I finish the second Carole's Hamsa box, I have been requested to make, I will get to the Lilly box. Got the Hamsa cut out but have a ton of sanding to do. I hope the Brazilian Pole Dance will be happy with it.
        AKA Paul from Washington State
        Hegner Multimax 22-V and Seyco ST-21

Comment

Thanks scrappile for your comment.

Can I ask a question! What is this Hamsa box you are working on? I don't believe I have seen one before.

Harry.

Comment

That really came out nice ! Another project to put on the list.
            Carole remind me, where do you get these stamens?
            Rolf
            RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Harry, that is a beautiful box. I can't imagine putting those stamens on the lily.
              Denny
              ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                Thanks scrappile for your comment.

Can I ask a question! What is this Hamsa box you are working on? I don't believe I have seen one before.

Harry.
                It is in the Spring 2017 issue of the scroll saw magazine, page 60. Another Carole box. I made one and immediately received a request for another. Carole explains the meaning of the box in her article. This is my first one. The one I an working on now is out of Cocobolo.
                Attached Files
                AKA Paul from Washington State
                Hegner Multimax 22-V and Seyco ST-21

Comment

Just FYI, most crafts stores carry cake decorating supplies, including flower stamens. I used lily stamens for a more realistic look, but if they're hard to find in the stores, Amazon might have some available without gouging you for shipping. Google it and you'll probably find many cake decorating supply sources. When I began doing more elaborate cakes all the best supplies came from across the pond, but now it's a lot trendier and companies like Wilton have much more variety, and availability is much simpler.

Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I had no trouble at all here in England obtaining lillystamens
                    Surprisingly enough. I found a local cake maker and decorators shop I got about 100 for £3 I wish hardwoods
                    Were as easy to Get.

Harry.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X