Miniature Birdhouse Ornaments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miniature Birdhouse Ornaments

I finished four more Miniature Birdhouse Ornaments this weekend. The patterns are by Diana Thompson and purchased from her website. I used Eastern White Cedar and Eastern Red Cedar. I found that the Eastern White Cedar was a little too soft. The blades used were FD Polar #5 and #9. The finish is two coats of sanding sealer. I an now over 200 of these little birdhouses.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Nicely done Denny. Those came out great. Thanks for sharing them with us.

DW
    Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
    John Wayne

Comment

Curious, do you drill the hole before or after cutting? Do you use a forstner bit?
      Rolf
      RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by DWSudekum View Post
        Nicely done Denny. Those came out great. Thanks for sharing them with us.

DW
        Thanks DW.
        Denny

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
          Curious, do you drill the hole before or after cutting? Do you use a forstner bit?
          The holes are drilled before cutting and yes I use a 1/2" Forstner bit.
          Denny

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Comment

These look great. What did you use for the colored birds. It looks like purple heart.

I am working on the same patterns at the present and hope they turn out as well.

I am also going to cut a few with redwood and use a light colored bird, maybe using some yellow heart to simulate a yellow finch. I will share when they are done in a few days.

I am also tossing around the idea of cutting some birds from Basswood with a little peak on the top of the head and staining them red or blue for red birds and blue birds. I will have to stop by Rockler to get some basswood 3/4" thick.

Comment

Originally posted by vgraf View Post
              These look great. What did you use for the colored birds. It looks like purple heart.

I am working on the same patterns at the present and hope they turn out as well.

I am also going to cut a few with redwood and use a light colored bird, maybe using some yellow heart to simulate a yellow finch. I will share when they are done in a few days.

I am also tossing around the idea of cutting some birds from Basswood with a little peak on the top of the head and staining them red or blue for red birds and blue birds. I will have to stop by Rockler to get some basswood 3/4" thick.
              Thanks. I used Eastern Red Cedar for the birds. On a previous batch, I used Walnut and Yellowheart. I tried staining some blue, but they didn't look real.
              Denny

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Comment

Are you finding that the cedar is getting harder to find? Most of what I have been finding has lots of knots in it.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                  Are you finding that the cedar is getting harder to find? Most of what I have been finding has lots of knots in it.
                  Betty, I ordered online 2" x 2" x 12" pieces. The quality was very good.
                  Denny

www.sandyoaksonline.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• turtleteasers
                    Reply to Triangular Pieces
                    turtleteasers
                    [What blade for this?]

I used a Pegas 2/0 skip tooth blade for this and all my 1/4" plywood puzzles. Any 2/0 blade will give similar results, as long as it is a simple blade which cuts only on the down-stroke. I stick with Pegas because I have found them to be consistent....
                    Today, 12:16 PM
                  • Rolf
                    Reply to Triangular Pieces
                    Rolf
                    Lots of Wow's here also. What blade for this?
                    Today, 10:20 AM
                  • Rolf
                    Reply to Black lacquer
                    Rolf
                    Are you thinking spray or brush? If it is a big grain you will need to use a grain filler, I have never used a filler so can't help much there. This may help a bit.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...k_Lacquer.html
                    Today, 10:16 AM
                  • Rolf
                    Reply to Kitchen cabinets officially started today!!!
                    Rolf
                    Looking good! What will you do with the shelf edges?
                    Today, 10:11 AM
                  • campasano
                    Reply to Whirligig
                    campasano
                    Rolf, I use White pine or Cedar but the most important aspect is the painting technique. I always put on a white primer, use fine steel wool to remove imperfections, Apply exterior outdoor paint, rub fine steel wool after each application when dry and final finish I apply clear poly ( spray can )...
                    Today, 09:59 AM
                  Working...
                  X