New WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New WIP

This is primarily a test to see whether my avatar comes through, and whether I can post pictures from a file. Bob is working on getting me re-attached to my previous posts, so it only looks like I've disappeared!

Bowl is cyprus, padauk, and black veneer. I'm going to rework the instructions and pattern, since I went overboard with excess wood that had to be sanded away, but I think it came out really well. The photo shows the bowl after the sealer coat of shellac, but I was able to spray lacquer on Christmas Day--just haven't taken final photos yet.

resized image.jpg

Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Carole I see both the new avatar and the pretty new bowl. Very very nice.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Another great bowl, always getting better and better. I can't wait for the instructions to give it a try.

Comment

What a beautiful bowl, Carole. Always taking your projects to the next level.
        Denny
        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Thanks Scott, Denny and Pete. It's nice to be able to share again!
          Carole

Comment

I see things are looking up for you Carole. Congratulations on being able to post pictures again. Love the wood choices and the vase.

DW
            Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
            John Wayne

Comment

thanks for sharing your pictures

Comment

Hi Carole, This is the 1st post that I looked at to start the New Year. Great to see your nice smiling avatar and your bowl is Spectacular!!!! Hope that 2016 is a Great Year for you that allows for plenty of time to continue your new creations!!!!!!!
                Happy New Year!!!!!
                Donna
                www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

Sweeeeeeet...........progress on the updated forum, things are looking up for the new year.
                  I like the way the grain rocks and rolls on the new vessel.........another beauty.
                  Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Very nice - I look forward to trying this pattern.
                    Jo Labre - in beautiful Racine, Wisconsin

Mostly, I don't know what I am doing - but I am doing it with GUSTO!

Comment

Like Tango, this is a spectacular post to start off the new year. Your work is always a treat for the eyes.
                      Jim
                      When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                      Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Superb project. Good to see you back posting. Happy New year.
                        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I sure like your avatar, Carole.
                          Denny
                          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Thanks, all, for the kind words and New Year wishes. I hope all of us continue to enjoy reasonable health and make a pile of sawdust in 2016.

When Bob tweaked my account to allow me to post pictures, I lost my avatar and got unlinked from all prior posts! I also lost my little red bars. If you look at the older posts, you'll see that faceless generic avatar that I find creepy, with no name to identify me as the poster. It would be nice if Bob could fix that, but it's more important to be able to post and share, and re-earn my little red bars.

The current avatar really looks like me, which is nice. The photo on my driver's license looks more like a child—not a speck of gray in my hair, and no sags, bags, or wrinkles (sigh!).

I have done very little work with cypress, which is the primary wood used for the project. It's soft and makes such oily sawdust that the dust collector on the Hegner gets clogged instantly. However, it cuts and sands easily, has a lovely grain, is inexpensive, and to my surprise, stood up to the padauk sawdust without turning orange.

I plan to get some more cypress to use to tweak the plans for this project. Since I didn't know how much wood I'd need to shape the neck, I kept everything far thicker than it needed to be, and had a lot of unnecessary sanding.

I'm trying to get some good examples made for my "advanced bowls" class, to highlight ways to make bowls more interesting. The walnut vase I posted recently, with Randy's help will probably appear in the magazine at some point, and this one is just a variation.

Hope to see a lot of you at the Open House. Since I took on an additional class, Joe and I will be staying until Sunday, which should give me plenty of time to hang out, have fun, and buy lots of stuff!
                            Last edited by handibunny; 01-01-2016, 01:59 PM.
                            Carole

Comment

Hi Carole.
                              Nice avatar, superb project. And I definitely have to look into getting some cypress wood to play around with. Especially as you mentioned it being inexpensive

As for looking for new ideas for bowls: As I gather you cut them by layer. So you can make them any form you like, not just round. I am not suggesting you try making a 1950's kidney-shaped serving set, but you could try a square or semi-square bowl. another possibility is to attach handles to the top/biggest/outer/ layer of a serving tray (or to the paduak center ring of your bowl...)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X