Some of the things for upcoming show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some of the things for upcoming show

Seahorse Family, cut from pine stained a colonial maple and shellacked The base is 3mm poplar.

Wobble Vase cut from cedar. Sealed with Tung Oil and top coated with shellac.

DW
    Attached Files
    Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
    John Wayne

Beautiful. Boy, you sure are busy.
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

I have never used Tung Oil, does it take a long time to dry?
      http://picasaweb.google.com/saltydogwoodworks.buie

Comment

Originally posted by SaltyDog View Post
        I have never used Tung Oil, does it take a long time to dry?
        Depending upon temperature and how heavy a coat you put on., Tung Oil can take up to 6 hrs to dry. I normally apply it then do something else and come back either half a day later or the next day to continue with the finish.

DW
        John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by DWSudekum View Post
          Depending upon temperature and how heavy a coat you put on., Tung Oil can take up to 6 hrs to dry. I normally apply it then do something else and come back either half a day later or the next day to continue with the finish.

DW
          I was actually planning on using Tung Oil tonight for something I just cut. The bottle directions (for pure Tung Oil purchased from Woodcraft) said to cut 50/50 with paint thinner (mineral spirits) for the first coats and then go to full strength, but it only said to wait an hour between coats.

Is the 6 hours how long you wait after applying the Tung Oil before putting the shellac on, or are you waiting 6 hours between the coats of Tung Oil? (I'm still trying to figure out this finishing stuff; I spent a decade where wipe on poly was my one and only finish method.)

Rob

Comment

I wait 6 hrs before top coating it. Might not have to but I do just to be sure. I seldom do full strength most of the time it is a 50 - 50 or 60 - 40 mix.

DW
            John Wayne

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
              Reply to Hope everyone had a safe holiday.
              by will8989
              Sorry to hear that Scott. Bruce had it but I never did. And I try to isolate from Bruce whenever I can. ūü§™ We were even around our son and grandson right before they were diagnosed and nothing for us. I guess I overdid the shopping Carole. I tried to sign onto our bank tonight and it is ‚Äútemporarily...
              Yesterday, 11:31 PM
            • Jim McDonald
              by Jim McDonald
              My saw is in a severe state of depression due to alleged abandonment. We have been clearing Becky's office since her retirement. She one of the last two original occupants of that new building in 2001, so it has been a lot of trips to the recycling bin with student thesis files, convention papers and...
              Yesterday, 07:07 PM
            • Redlee
              Hello all, new here.
              by Redlee
              New here and looking for some help and guidance on scroll work and saws.
              I have a Hegner M25S and have recently made some upgrades and would like to improve the blade clamping. So looking for ideas and help.
              Thanks
              Yesterday, 05:54 PM
            • Ralph123
              Reply to Clock hardware Kits.
              by Ralph123
              I didn't get the message. What address did you send it to?
              Yesterday, 02:05 PM
            • meflick
              by meflick
              Whatever therapy works for you - is a good therapy. Glad your touch/retail therapy was beneficial for you Betty.

Scott, I am so sorry to ear that you and your wife have both had to fight through Covid. I hope this means that you are both on your way to healing, if a bit slowly....
              Yesterday, 12:14 PM
            Working...
            X